Topic: Versioning Software

Hello,

I am starting in on a new project that will have many different minor and major releases over the next couple years.

Does anyone use versioning software? Is this what Subversion is for? (This project will never be available for public download.)

Thanks,
Chris

Re: Versioning Software

Yes, subversion is excellent for this. With several different releases of your software you will make use of the branches and tags facilities. This works a little differently in subversion than some other version control programs, so make sure you read up on subversion.

Thanks! I'll get started with Subversion. I also noticed Ryan's Railscast Subversion on Rails if anyone else is interested.

Chris

IMHO versioning is a must. I have a subversion repository set up on Dreamhost. I do my development at home and at work, so just before I leave work for the day, I check in all my work, and update my source when I get home. Beats the heck out of using a thumb drive to shuttle my files between home and work.

You can also roll back to previous versions if you break things, and look at your past notes so you can see what you did for any given version. If you set up your repository right, you can do a release, and still work on your next version...isuue patches...roll back to previous versions, etc.

It makes me sad to think that I didn't use version control for all of these years...

Amen, mikeyv. I feel really stupid admiting this, but I didn't even know what version control was before I got into rails. I develop by myself, not in a team, and I still find subversion invaluable. It's like a time-machine!

Yeah, I had heard of version control software, but though I never had the need since I wasn't on large teams. But as an off-site time machine, it sounds great.

I am using subversion but I have a problem with half-baked features when I want to deploy a new version of my web app.

Some features are not ready so if I want to checkout the repository into the test(staging) server I have to manually take only the 'Done' features, move only them to different folder and copy this folder to my staging machine.   it's painful and time consuming.
I've heard of branching and tested it.  This is what I did -
I created a branch for new feature.  Subversion created a sub folder underneath the main folder.  I think it's a problem because the IIS can't see this feature (the same goes for the continuous integration), so when a developer (working outside of the office) commit his branch I don't see this feature on Development web-site because it's not part of the web-app.  so the iterative/agile/constant feedback idea is gone!

How do I solve this issue of half-baked features?
I probably don't use the subversion in the right way..
(btw, this is an asp.net projects but it doesn't matter).

Thanks,
Oren

Last edited by oren (2007-07-22 14:38:05)