Topic: How do I find & view all those RDoc files scattered on my hard drive?

Every time I download and install a MacPort, Ruby gem, or similar software, the installer makes RI and RDoc files. Many of the RI files simply disappear. The RDoc files are apt to be called "index.html". I've never been able to find a way to access them. Searching for "index.html" on my hard drive produces a list of hundreds of files, most of which are useless. Moreover, many installs go to a part of the hard drive where only root has read permissions. So I'm seeing only a fraction of the RDocs on my system.

Aarrghh!!

Any suggestions on how to access -- and organize -- these files?

I get an error when trying to run gem_server:

[~] jimgagne% gem_server
/opt/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `gem_original_require': no such file to load -- sources (LoadError)
        from /opt/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require'
        from /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rubygems-update-0.9.2/lib/rubygems/source_info_cache.rb:6
        from /opt/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:32:in `gem_original_require'
        from /opt/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:32:in `require'
        from /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rubygems-update-0.9.2/lib/rubygems/remote_installer.rb:12
        from /opt/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:32:in `gem_original_require'
        from /opt/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:32:in `require'
        from /opt/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:112:in `manage_gems'
        from /usr/local/bin/gem_server:334

When I try to run rake doc:rails in my Rails project, what it says is:
rake aborted!
Don't know how to build task 'vendor/rails/railties/CHANGELOG'

---Jim Gagne---
(Note: just posted to Google Groups/Ruby on Rails before I found Rails Forum)

Last edited by Jim Gagne (2007-07-09 00:38:46)

Re: How do I find & view all those RDoc files scattered on my hard drive?

With some help from groups.google.com, I figured out what was wrong with the