Re: Complete Rails and developer tool installation for a new Mac user....

mutle wrote:

oki, i thought the apache in os x used your user account. just do chmod -R 777 ~/Sites, which gives other Read/Write/Execute too. the problem with finder is, you can't set the execute flag.

I told Finder to change 'Others' access back to 'Read Only', and everything went back to the way it was before - so obviously you're correct in saying that Apache isn't using my user account.

Would it not be safest to add Apache to my user account, so that I don't have to give Read/Write to all other services, or is it safe to leave Read/Write access to 'Others' ? I can see 'appserveradm' and 'appserverusr' listed - are these the ones that need to have R/W?

Neil wrote:

Would it not be safest to add Apache to my user account, so that I don't have to give Read/Write to all other services, or is it safe to leave Read/Write access to 'Others' ? I can see 'appserveradm' and 'appserverusr' listed - are these the ones that need to have R/W?

sure, as long as you're not using this as a production server (where you would use a dedicated user who owns the files and the webserver), it will be fine.
i am not sure about the usernames you mentioned, as i havnt used apache in a while. i am very happy with locomotive for development and nginx/mongrel for production.

I use this machine for building/testing, and anything that goes out on the web is uploaded to DreamHost - in which case I presume it's safe to give read/write to 'Others'.