Topic: Unit test controller with fake CGI params

Hiya,

Im trying to unit test an app against a browser that works inside a game.  The browser itself works with html 1.0 standard at the moment so its faily simple, however in its header it sends a few variable that relate to the game, like the username.  in PHP it would be something like

echo $_SERVER['GAME_USERNAME']

Now what I have inmy controller is this

u = User.new(
            :name => cgi.params['GAME_USERNAME'],
            :last_seen => Time.now.gmtime
        }

Question 1 is do I need the cgi. bit or can I jusat call params?

So in my test for this controller I need to fake that CGI param, how would I go about doing that, would it be like this

(IGB stands for In Game Browser)

def test_user_from_igb
   get :info, :game_username => 'Fred'
end

Im coding this a bit blind as the spec for the IGB has been written but not the actual IGB itself so I cant test it in the realworld for a bit.  So kinda want to fake it just for my own sanity so I can get this thing coded!

Thanks
- Chris

Re: Unit test controller with fake CGI params

Quick update, I *think* Im doing it right now, got rid of the CGI call and passing params direct as stated in the above, I suppose I shall have to wait until they code the browser to truley find out.

Any comments welcome though smile

Last edited by Catharsis (2006-09-15 09:54:51)

The equivalent of $_SERVER in Rails is the env object, not params. So for example $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] would be env['REQUEST_URI'] in Ruby/Rails.

The params hash is the equivalent of $_REQUEST in PHP (so $_GET and $_POST together), afaik it doesn't include the server/header data.

ah cool, thanks for the post smile

So to set them I do

def test_user_from_igb
    env['GAME_USERNAME'] = 'Fred'
    get :info
end

Aha, after a lil search, it appears that the env stuff for the browser is held within the request object, so...

request.env['HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE']

hopefully I can set them in a similar fashion

Well I can log request (the whole object) and even just the env part, how I set them continues to elude me smile

Do you need to set them just for testing? Or do you need to set them in your application as well?

I suspect I'ld look at introducing a mock object that wraps env so you can poke/push into it more easily in your tests.

My RoR journey  -- thoughts on learning RoR and lessons learned in applying TDD and agile practices.

Just for testing really, in the application they will be set by the browser, but since that isnt coded yet I have to fake it.

Basically I want to theoretically test the website works in the browser without having to load the game and the browser.

aha, think I might be onto something, and Im quoting thew api docs here...

get(path, parameters=nil, headers=nil)

Performs a GET request with the given parameters. The parameters may be nil, a Hash, or a string that is appropriately encoded (application/x-www-form-urlencoded or multipart/form-data). The headers should be a hash. The keys will automatically be upcased, with the prefix

*sigh* okay chucking it through like that chucks the var through as part of the session... still looking

*grumbles about out of date docs*

If anyone is interedsted I now know how to do this.  Didn't find it docced anywhere just stumbled across it.  Been away from this bit of code for a LONG time and all of a sudden it fits into place.  Nice eh...

So my test looks like this..

require File.dirname(__FILE__) + '/../test_helper'
require 'user_controller'

# Re-raise errors caught by the controller.
class UserController; def rescue_action(e) raise e end; end

class UserControllerTest < Test::Unit::TestCase
  def setup
    @controller = UserController.new
    @request    = ActionController::TestRequest.new
    @request.env['FAKE_VAR'] = 'Munky'
    @response   = ActionController::TestResponse.new
  end

# Replace this with your real tests.
  def test_truth
    assert true
  end