Topic: How to change value of text box using javascript with button

Hi,
I have one date field which is coming up with the previous date entered. I want to add one button beside it and on clicking to that button that date field should be cleared.

I have written my code like this:

<%= if @claim.nil? then date_field('claim', 'hrh_diary_date') else date_field('claim', 'hrh_diary_date', :value=>@claim.hrh_diary_date) end %>
      <% if @date %>
        <br /><b><i>(Your current diary date is <%= @date.to_date if !@date.nil? %>)</i></b>
          <input type="button" value="clear diary date" onclick="clear_diary_date(this);">
      <% end %>

And my java script is:

function clear_diary_date()
{
    document.getElementById('hrh_diary_date').value = '';
}

Can anyone please tell me what is wrong with the code? Or is there any other way to do this

Thanks in advance

Re: How to change value of text box using javascript with button

It may be that your passing a value to the clear_diary_date method "(this)", but in your function definition it doesn't take any variables.

Alex

Thanks Alex for ur response but I still have problem,

I tried with clear_diary_date method() also but actually I am getting javascript error as 'hrh_diary_date' Undefined.

document.getElementById('hrh_diary_date').value = ''; ---- is this right or I have to use something else to get the value of hrh_diary_date so that I can set it at blank.

Thanks
Atit

Last edited by atit.shah (2007-07-25 17:19:42)

No, that looks OK. Have you checked the source to make sure that your field actually has the attribute id = 'hrh_diary_date'?

Alex

Hey Alex,

Thanks for your help. I got the solution.

I use this thing
<%= button_to_function "Clear Diary Date" do |page|
          page[:claim_hrh_diary_date].value = ''
          end %>

Atit