Topic: Break apart the Rails Programming forum?

At the moment the Rails Programming forum has over 22,572 posts. Next up is Application Theory and Design with 1,375 posts. That's more than 16 times the number of posts in Rails Programming.

It seems there are a lot of posts/questions in Rails Programming that go unanswered

Re: Break apart the Rails Programming forum?

That forum used to be two actually: a beginner questions forum and a forum for regular questions. It didn't really work out because people would just post anywhere (beginners aren't going to be the greatest judge of where their thread should go).

I prefer one forum personally, but if there's enough demand for splitting it up we could do something else.

vinnie - rails forum admin

Should we break the Rails Programming forum into separate, more descriptively named forums? Like:

Doing this will most likely result in more work for moderators as people post things in the wrong place far more often and then things would just get messy.

However, it would be nice to see some new forums for things like Plugin Usage & Development.

I like the idea of breaking it up but I do think trying to work out what and how it should be broken up is more difficult than it sounds because problems often overlap and could possibly go into more than one group. It's a tough one that needs some thought.

shadow wrote:

However, it would be nice to see some new forums for things like Plugin Usage & Development.

I really like this idea smile

vin wrote:
shadow wrote:

I really like this idea smile

I like this idea so much we have a new plugin forum. Go forth and use it!

I'm gonna try to fill the forum with any plugin-related topics we have already floating around.

Awesome! The Plugin forum is a great start. It feels more organized around here already! smile

I noticed on Rick Olson's Rails Weenie forum that he has separated it into five important forums:

General Rails
ActiveRecord (Models)
ActionPack (Views / Controllers)
Javascript / Prototype
Plugins

Not to copy Rick, but these categories do make sense.

Anything "newbie" will probably fall into the General Rails forum. When this happens, I don't think it would be too serious. Our moderators don't have to roll around cleaning up the forums. I think people will figure things out pretty quickly.

Also, if we broke the Rails Programming forum up I don't think it would be necessary to sort everything, just change Rails Programming into Rails General and create two new forums for Models and Views/Controllers.

What do you guys think?

Chris

I like this idea so much we have a new plugin forum. Go forth and use it!

Yay! Go me wink

I agree that having separate ActiveRecord and ActionPack Forums is a great idea.

+1 vote