Topic: Edging on Rails

How many of you guys are rocking out of the trunk?

I wasn't really concerned about it until I caught a glimpse at some of the new goodies they have worked in.

I'm particularly psyched about the cleaner environment initializers (my environment.rb is out of control), sexy migrations and of course ActiveResource.

Just curious how many brave souls are out there and if you would recommend hopping on board with a real project at stake..

Re: Edging on Rails

You already knew this, but I'm on Edge. I'm not too worried about the features, though, I just wanted to be able to use tztime.

One thing to note is that you have to freeze edge rails twice in order to get all of the updates.

trevorturk wrote:

One thing to note is that you have to freeze edge rails twice in order to get all of the updates.

Ouch. I wonder how much hair you pulled out before you discovered that little nugget.

I did edge between 1.1 and 1.2 because I wanted the RESTful stuff and couldn't wait. Right now I'm just hanging on to the current stable version.

vinnie - rails forum admin

Sadly, we don't have any time for any serious (or even not serious) bugs in rails itself in a unstable release espically for client things so we stick to 1.2.3.

We freeze all our projects with whatever version they were made in when they are finished.

As soon as 2.0 is released as stable, we'll switch to that.

Something I have just noticed and it was only added a week ago is the ability to add layouts to partials which is think is going to be quite useful.