Topic: Ignoring entire subdirectories in SVN?

From Bash:

mlanza@CLARITY:/var/www/daybreak$ svn status
?      public/person
mlanza@CLARITY:/var/www/daybreak$ svn propset svn:ignore "*" public/person/
svn: warning: 'public/person' is not under version control

Notice that I get this one subdirectory where a person's photos are saved (ala file_column).  I don't want SVN bawking about it, yet I can't seem to svn:ignore it.  Granted, I am green with some of the more intricate SVN commands, but what gives!?

Thanks.
Mario

Re: Ignoring entire subdirectories in SVN?

I would add the public/person directory and then remove all the files (or just move the files out of the way). Then you can ignore the contents, as you're trying to do. No harm in having an empty place-holder directory, I think.

I don't know if this will work, but you can try ignoring this way:

svn propset svn:ignore "person/" public/

Did try this, but doesn't seem to ignore.  I'll try some more things.
Thanks.

Mario,

I just tried my own suggestion (what a concept!) and, as you might have guessed, it did not work. Then, I tried:

svn ps svn:ignore 'person' public/

(without the forward-slash after person) and that worked! Give that a try. If that doesn't work either, you can also try:

svn pe svn:ignore public/

That's the propedit command, and it should bring up a text-editor (whatever you've got it set up to use) with everything that is being ignored in public (which is probably nothing, so it will be an empty file). Once that text-editor is open, just type person on an empty line. Once you save the file and close the editor, the directory should be ignored.

Hope that helps, and sorry for the misleading solution in my last comment. Cheers!

I think I got it now.  Thanks, truly, for choosing to follow up.

Computers: amazing how picky they are. smile
Mario

Since we're on the svn topic, how do I switch back to the last copy after doing an svn update?

=====================
Sam G.

svn switch http://my_domain.com/path/to/repo -r 93

Of course, you would substitute your own repository, and you would replace the 93 with whatever revision of the repository you want to go to.

svn revert -R * from the root directory works well