Topic: Proposing / Advocating for Ruby on Rails

Short:

I was wondering if anyone can give me some ideas or "talking points" about Ruby on Rails to put in a proposal for using Ruby on Rails for an upcoming project instead of our current technology cakephp.

Long:

Back in the day I was a perl guy, found RoR late last year and created a few small programs on my own. Recently I got a web developer job for a smaller company with a large online presence. At the moment and for the foreseeable future I will be the only tech person.

Our current suite of websites consists of 4 main parts. 3 are all separate smaller cakephp applications while the 4rth is a larger social networking application with over 50,000 users written in straight php. This application is scheduled to be rewritten in Sept and Oct. While I have been updating and adding to our current cakephp applications, compared to RoR, I am not impressed with cakephp at all. I find the overall implementation of things odd and confusing, while the documentation is extremely lacking. In short switching to RoR seems much more enjoyable not to mention easier and cleaner.

At the job I am the only one with any tech knowledge. No one knows what php or ruby is, so cakephp vs RoR would draw blank stares. I'm pretty sure my executive director will not have a problem with me switching technologies, but will probably want an explanation of why and what advantages will be gained. He will probably want this in a full business like proposal. This is not something I am used to writing and was wondering if anyone had any type of pointers for this kind of situation or some points I can add in for switching from cakephp to RoR

Thanks...

-timw

Re: Proposing / Advocating for Ruby on Rails

I use CakePHP extensively, because it's the closest thing to RoR in the PHP world. It's broken in cunning ways, and the docs are miserable. PHP has a pretty broken object model, which is most of the problem with Cake.

The big win with Rails is in development productivity ... it's hard to quantify, but you can generally do more with less using Rails. Might be worth whipping some samples together in both Cake and Rails, in order to compare the two in terms of time to dev and maintainability.

On the flipside - RoR might be slightly harder to host, PHP is pretty much pre-configured by most hosting providers.

Toby Hede
===================================================
FiniteStateMachine - Software Development for Social Networks
===================================================

Re: Proposing / Advocating for Ruby on Rails

tobyhede wrote:

On the flipside - RoR might be slightly harder to host, PHP is pretty much pre-configured by most hosting providers.

If they're running a 50K user social networking app, they probably have control over their own server(s). This community is 1/10 the size and it's outgrowing shared hosting smile

vinnie - rails forum admin