Topic: a local search for a folder of html files ?

so lets say I built the docs api and have a local copy on my server, what kind of tool could I use to just stick a search onto it without a database? I have been using textmate and find all but theres gotta be a cleaner tool just for stuff like that..

It's not a rails question  but just a seek and find question visually instead of grep preferably with ajax tongue Non i'm just being picky big_smile

Last edited by tripdragon (2006-09-25 11:11:09)

Re: a local search for a folder of html files ?

You mean like a browser-based method for searching these files? I assume so, since you mentioned AJAX.

If you wanted to write something for it, you'd need some sort of server-side language, be it php, ruby, perl, what have you to open the files, loop through them and check the contents.

Otherwise, check HOtScripts for a search script in the language of your hoice.

If you have a local copy of the API you can probably use a desktop search tool like Spotlight (Mac) or the Google Desktop Search app (Windows) to quickly scan files for what you want.

vinnie - rails forum admin

vin wrote:

If you have a local copy of the API you can probably use a desktop search tool like Spotlight (Mac) or the Google Desktop Search app (Windows) to quickly scan files for what you want.

OSX spotlights kinda dinky slow. and not really smart, just a basic search engine like search engines are but local without all of teh data needing to be inside databases.. Eh, guess it's not real hince the reason for databases in the first place