Topic: Update List After Create

While I find my confidence in Rails growing daily, I am pretty moronic when it comes to AJAX stuff. Its one of those things I keep putting off.

As you can tell by the thread title, I am trying to do something basic. I keep finding a lot of outdated tutorials, so hopefully you RJS wizards can enlighten me:

# View Index
%table#things
  %tr
    %th Name
    %th URL
    %th{:colspan=>'2'} Actions
  = render :partial => 'thing', :collection => @things

# _thing partial
%tr
  %td= thing.name

Now instead of rendering an RJS template, I would like to have the page update stuff happen in the controller but am using RESTful actions with respond_to blocks, so that kind of throws me off as to where to stick that code.

Re: Update List After Create

Add a tbody and give it an ID - <tbody id="my_table_data"> and then you can just replace_html inside this using RJS.

page["my_table_data"].replace_html :partial => "thing"

I am still lost on how to specify this in my controller action. Its your typical REST deal, so where should the page block go?

def create
  @thing = Thing.new(params[:thing])

respond_to do |format|
    if @thing.save
      format.html { redirect_to things_path }
      format.xml  { head :created, :location => thing_url(@thing) }
    else
      format.html { render :action => "new" }
      format.xml  { render :xml => @thing.errors.to_xml }
    end
  end
end

the answer is called render :udpate
it basically accepts a block with a page object, witgh which you can do the same stuff as in an RJS template.

def create
  @thing = Thing.new(params[:thing])

respond_to do |format|
    if @thing.save
      format.html { redirect_to things_path }
      format.xml  { head :created, :location => thing_url(@thing) }
      format.js { render :update do |page|
                    page[:some_id].replace_html render :partial => "thing", :locals => { :thing => @thing }
                  end
      }
    else
      format.html { render :action => "new" }
      format.xml  { render :xml => @thing.errors.to_xml }
      format.js { render :udpate do |page|
                    page[:error_div].replace_html "Save failed"
                  end
      }
    end
  end
end

Last edited by Duplex (2007-08-27 19:18:50)

Yeh - as Duplex says, sorry, I wasn't very detailed in my reply.

Thanks for the assist Duplex..I'm almost there

Just need to set up the form that triggers this action. Perhaps a remote_form_for will do the trick, but I'm not sure.

remote_form_for should work fine

just do NOT define the :update option of remote_form_for, otherwise RJS/render(:update) won't work properly.

Thanks for the pointers guys.

I really like how this fits into the respond_to block..super clean.

For cases when the :update is a little more involved, is it possible to use this convention with an external RJS file?

In the meantime I am tinkering with a progress indicator for the impatient.

I know I can do this with

:loading => "Element.show('progress')",
:complete => "Element.hide('progress')"

I'm just wondering if this belongs in my remote form or in the controller action.

the Progress indictor belongs in your view obviously. it displays/hides the indicator with Javascript, so the controller is in no way involved in this.

for the first question, do you ask if you can use render :update in conjunction with a RJS template? no, at least not that i know of.
either you do

format.js { render :update do |page| ..... }

or you do
format.js

and have an .rjs file named like your action in your views directory

It's either..or

I'm 99% there. The indicator shows when I press the submit button but the page doesn't update and I get a strange error

#The Form

- remote_form_for(:thing,
:loading => "Element.show('ajax_progress')",
:complete => "Element.hide('ajax_progress')",
:url => things_path) do |f|

#The Table

%table
  %thead
    %tr     
      %th Name
  %tbody#things
    = render :partial => "thing", :collection => @things
    %tr
      %td#ajax_progress{:style=>'display:none'}= image_tag('/img/ajax_progress.gif')

#The Controller Block
              page[:things].insert_html render :partial => "thing", :locals => { :thing => @thing }                       
            end
}

#The Error

RJS error: TypeError: Value undefined
(result of expression $("things").insertHtml)
is not object.

$("things").insertHtml("<tr>\n  <td><strong>fds</strong></td>\n  <td>hg</td>\n  <td>\n
<a class=\"edit\" href=\"#\" onclick=\"new Ajax.Request('', {asynchronous:true, evalScripts:true});
return false;\">Edit</a>\n  </td>\n  <td>\n    <a href=\"/things/33\" onclick=\"if (confirm('Are you sure?'))
{ var f = document.createElement('form'); f.style.display = 'none'; this.parentNode.appendChild(f); f.method = 'POST';
f.action = this.href;var m = document.createElement('input'); m.setAttribute('type', 'hidden'); m.setAttribute('name',
'_method'); m.setAttribute('value', 'delete'); f.appendChild(m);f.submit(); };return false;\">Delete</a>\n
</td>\n</tr>\n");

You use "insert_html", which will append (or prepend) html to the code that is already inside the given tag/DOM-id. but therefore you have to define where to put it:

page[:things].insert_html :bottom, render :partial => "thing", :locals => { :thing => @thing }                                   
            end
}

And then there is _replace_html, which will replace the whole content of tbody#things with the returned partial. here you don't have to define :bottom or sth. obviously.

Which one should it be? i guess insert_html als you return one item and want to append it to the list hm?

Last edited by Duplex (2007-08-28 11:02:08)

Sorry.. I should have explained myself better.

I want to append a row to that table, instead of refreshing the whole thing

So I tried this with the :bottom specified and the action does create the instance in the database, but it fails to append the partial to the tbody tag

I get a similar error that pops up in an alert message

$("things").insertHtml("bottom", "<tr>\n  <td><strong>dd</strong></td>\n  <td>fff</td>\n  <td>\n
<a class=\"edit\" href=\"#\" onclick=\"new Ajax.Request('', {asynchronous:true, evalScripts:true}); return false;\">Edit</a>\n  </td>\n
<td>\n    <a href=\"/things/34\" onclick=\"if (confirm('Are you sure?')) { var f = document.createElement('form');
f.style.display = 'none'; this.parentNode.appendChild(f); f.method = 'POST'; f.action = this.href;var m = document.createElement('input');
m.setAttribute('type', 'hidden'); m.setAttribute('name', '_method'); m.setAttribute('value', 'delete'); f.appendChild(m);f.submit(); };return
false;\">Delete</a>\n  </td>\n</tr>\n");

the Javascript seems correct. it just needs to be run.

It pops up in an alert message? Are you using some JavaScript debugger?
Do you have the :update option specified in the form_remote_tag ? (You shouldn't).

I pastied everything to keep the clutter out of this thread

I'm not using any JS debugger (at least to my knowledge).

Totally perplexed here

You have spelt :update wrong on line 15 of research_link_controller.rb in your pastie. Actually, duplex typed it wrong and you copied it wink

(Although, thats not your problem here)

Well thats just embarrassing!

All the same, I fixed the typo and still get those errors

SOmething tells me this thread will go on for another 2 pages till I get this right..

doh

For the love of God, I finally figured it out.

It turns out Duplex' syntax was a bit off.

He had:

page[:things].insert_html :bottom, 'things', render(:partial #etc etc....

When it should be

page.insert_html :bottom, 'things', render(:partial #etc etc....

Thanks regardless for the lesson on RJS fellas. Between you and the API, I think I may have this down.

Now I am going to try something similar with the delete action.

Wish me luck!

hm... so insert_html does'nt work with page[:dom_id] style ... nice to know. (never tried it myself wink)