Re: Beginning Relationships

dagger007 wrote:

so now my question is why the statement <%= list_profiles['personalinfo'].firstname %> returns nil.firstname error?

becoz its not <%= list_profiles['personalinfo'].firstname %> BUT it should be <%= list_profiles.personalinfo.firstname %>

radical vision fuels disruptive technologies

Sorry a bit frustrated, Probably my third tutorial in a row where I haven

Thanks for the tutorial Reedy!

Good stuff, thanks!

danger wrote:

This is solid Reedy.  Totally useful.  This may be a better introduction to relationships than the AWDWR book - and a heck of a lot more value per dollar.

I totally agree with that :-)

Thanks for the tutorial,

it's deepen my knowledge about the ActiveRecord stuff big_smile

For some reason I cannot access the ERD diagram - is there a way to see somewhere else?

paneb wrote:

For some reason I cannot access the ERD diagram - is there a way to see somewhere else?

Paneb, you are posting in a 5 month old thread. This tutorial was originally written a year ago. If you have a problem with the tutorial please create a new thread stating what it was.

Is it Just me or does Image (for the overview of application) no longer work?

Also any chance of updating this with :through (and rails 2?)

Thanks!

Last edited by drozzy (2008-02-29 22:29:12)

"Iwana ga hana"

drozzy wrote:

Is it Just me or does Image (for the overview of application) no longer work?

Also any chance of updating this with :through (and rails 2?)

Thanks!

It doesn't work for me either. It seems as if the dan-reedy.com domain name has expired sad Does any one have a mirror?

Great guide. I'm gonna try this out. Thanks!

Regards,
George
Pret travaux

I was trying to work on this using Rails 3.0.0 and Ruby 1.9.2p0 (2010-8-19) versions and got error

I am new to Rails smile

I have a 3 table db ( I have set the relationships correctly):

place >--- county >--- region

and I wish to see in the places/index listing of all places the region as one of the columns, and not the region_id that is a filed in the county table.  I can see the county (rather than an id) using:  <%=h place.county.county %>, how do I jump through to another table using the county_id as the criteria to read back the region to the display?

I assume I need to get the correct region for a particular county but I am not sure how ... doh ...  would this be in the place controller, or the county?

Cheers

Is there a good tutorial on building large multi-table systems with ROR.  I'm sure folk have done this, perhaps not written about it ...