Topic: Anyone else using Test::Rails?

Anyone else here using Test::Rails from ZenTest to extend the built-in testing tools?  I've been playing with it for a few days now and have started to extend it further in some ways, and I'ld love to discuss some pros/cons with others....

My RoR journey  -- thoughts on learning RoR and lessons learned in applying TDD and agile practices.

Re: Anyone else using Test::Rails?

Not me. smile I downloaded the gem but never got around to actually figuring out how it worked.

After doing the required Google searches, this was the most descriptive article on Zen Testing that I found:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7776

also...
They triggered one of my pet peeves on the zen test homepage:  "testing, on steroids". Oh, so it is like normal testing, but prone to rage and long term health effects?

Yeah, like much Rails-related stuff the documentation is of the sparse and poor variety.  However I did find that the rdoc with the gem for the Test::Rails portion of the ZenTest suite just sufficient enough to get started using it.

I don't see a lot of use for the "ZenTest" executable, but then again I tend not to produce the kinds of gaps it detects inthe first place.  I do find autotest and Test::Rails useful though, when autotest behaves that is....  (It seems to like to get the testing database into a funny state. as well as forgetting that modifiying the test file or the production file should generate a rerun.)

My RoR journey  -- thoughts on learning RoR and lessons learned in applying TDD and agile practices.

I just installed the zentest gem and thought I would give Test::Rails a try with the purpose in mind of unit testing partials. Has it been working out for you? Do you know of a way to test a single partial in isolation using zentest?

Thanks,

Kevin

I haven't tried unit testing a partial.  It would be nice.  I'm currently battling with integration tests that aren't behaving the way they should so I probably can't spend too much time digging into testing partials, but if you find something out, please post.  Otherwise I might try to play with it next weekend....

In generally I've been very happy with Test::Rails and have a love-hate relationship with autotest right now... just because it seems to run tests slightly different than running the test from the commandline...