Topic: HOWTO: Roll back from Capistrano 2.0 to 1.4

This may be simple for more advanced users, but it escaped a newb like me until about 5 minutes ago :-)

Why roll back?
After googling for information on how to deploy using Capistrano 2.0 for the last eighteen hours (no I'm not kidding - that's including learning how to use subversion for the first time, numerous database debacles, lots of coke, etc. etc.), I've seen numerous references of people saying, "don't use 2.0, use 1.4 instead, it's much easier." 

Of course, having NEVER deployed a rails app in my life, the first question out of my mouth is:  "uhh...how?"

Here's how it works.

If you already have Capistrano 2.0 installed:

sudo gem uninstall capistrano

Pop in that root password, and when it asks:
Remove executables and scripts for
'cap, capify' in addition to the gem? [Yn]

...tell it yes (Y).

Starting Fresh
If you didn't have capistrano on your system prior to that, or just now executed the above, do this:

sudo gem install -v 1.4 capistrano

And you should be good to go.  Install missing dependencies if needed.

Verify Version
Verify your version of Capistrano by typing:

cap -V

(Note the capital V)

Re: HOWTO: Roll back from Capistrano 2.0 to 1.4

EDIT:  Change "1.4" to "1.4.1" for an update of the 1.4 flavor.

If anyone has anything they'd like to add, please do :-)

>>>>After googling for information on how to deploy using Capistrano 2.0 for the last eighteen hours (no I'm not kidding - that's including learning how to use subversion for the first time, numerous database debacles, lots of coke, etc. etc.)

I spent the last 48 hours of my life trying to get Cap2 and SVN to work!

Haha, yeah that's why I say "screw 2.0", just make it 1.4 smile

One problem is the deprec gem doesn't work with 2.0, so if you use that stick with 1.4. Also, if you have both versions installed you can specify which version you want to run like this:

cap  _1.4.1_  deploy

If you're looking for an alternative to Capistrano, check out Vlad the Deployer.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts