Topic: Is there a possibility we could have a thread on business related issu

I was wondering if it was possible to have a thread on business related issues. Rails makes it so easy and fast to develop applications that the programming end is now not as tough as the business end, and I was wondering if we could have a place where we could all help each other out if we have been there before.

We could discuss stuff like outsourcing, taxes, accepting payments, incorporating, LLC's etc...

To me that is the tough part of business, with rails the programming is the easy part!

Thank you for your consideration!
Don

Re: Is there a possibility we could have a thread on business related issu

I would be interested in this thread.  I agree, the software is the "easy" part.  The things that hold me back from really pushing to get my application done are the business unknowns, customer support (I'd love to outsource, but where?), managing customers, intelligently growing the product, SEO, creating and maintaining the company, and getting help from outside so I can actually run the web site without being a slave to it.  Then there is marketing.

Learning what others have been able to do, again finding outside resources (can I alone really expect to maintain a web app with the limited time I have now?), and how to make the leap from a full time paying job to working for myself, anyone know any angle investors out there smile.  The list of questions could go on.

There is the Google Group, http://groups.google.com/group/rails-business, but it doesn't get the same sort of traffic as this forum does.

michael

Great comments! I'm going through many of these now, and how about just supporting each other! Sometimes we can all get a little discouraged so a word or two might help!

One tip I do have is get sleep! I just got back from the doctor, I have pneumonia from lack of sleep over the last few months as I tried to get my business up and running while working a full time job!

D

I'll talk it over with the rest of the mods and admins. I'm not too sure if I want it here personally but if there's good enough demand for it I'm not going to turn it down either smile

vinnie - rails forum admin

vin wrote:

I'll talk it over with the rest of the mods and admins. I'm not too sure if I want it here personally but if there's good enough demand for it I'm not going to turn it down either smile

Thank you for the opportunity!
Hopefully we have enough support if not thank you for letting us find out!

D

Last edited by bahamallama (2007-09-15 17:01:24)

vin wrote:

I would think that this type of thread is a dangerous thread for all concerned, for example the members of this forum are spread across the whole world and each country has different business legislation. There is also the issue about a forum member following "the advice written down" in the forum and then falling foul of some legal requirement.

I don't want to pour water on a good idea I just think you really need to take a good look at this idea, i.e. what are the real impacts to ourselves and our forum members, rather than "it sounds a good idea so lets do it".

If you do go ahead then you should get some T&C's drawn up and maybe some legal caveat's.

Steve.