Topic: Netbeans 6 beta with full ruby and rails support!

I'm trying it and at a first glance it seems very very great....what do ya think?

Re: Netbeans 6 beta with full ruby and rails support!

I'll probably wait for 1.0 before giving it a try, but I seriously can't imagine switching from TextMate. I don't like heavy editors.

But, for those that want a true IDE for Rails, I think this is it.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

Now i'm using it...it is fantastic with ruby and rails! But it wants a big PC smile

I'm using it too and it's really ok, I don't have to use the console anymore (for installing plugins or generating things).

As soon as I saw it was coded in Java I ran away screaming. In my experience java apps run disgustingly slow on OS X.

I'm happy with Textmate and the shell

pimpmaster wrote:

As soon as I saw it was coded in Java I ran away screaming. In my experience java apps run disgustingly slow on OS X.

I'm happy with Textmate and the shell

ok but believe me...it is another world!!! A text editor is a text editor...an ide like netbeans is another world expecially that one for ruby and rails!!!

Netbeans kicks the crap out of Aptana.

Netbeans has not crashed once for me, in Aptana it was a weekly torture.

Well skyblaze, due to the sheer number of exclamation points in your post, I will try this puppy out.

Yeah, well for the simple fact of not being able to have the same syntax highlighting of Textmate, I despise it. It's just so ugly compared to Textmate.

http://danielfischer.com - Personal Web-Technology-Blog, Los Angeles.

DFischer wrote:

Yeah, well for the simple fact of not being able to have the same syntax highlighting of Textmate, I despise it. It's just so ugly compared to Textmate.

I don't think i care too much about cool colors when i have a total ruby and rails environment in my hands...i mean amazing code completion for many many things, awesome code refactoring and debugging, rails migration and other tasks and generators in the ide and a lot more...

And then i don't think they will not add other color themes in the future wink

Maybe I'm insane, but the way my editor looks plays a major factor in what I use. I'd say I'm faster on Textmate than on an IDE, *shrug*. I'd also say Textmate makes me feel better smile

I would like to point out that NetBeans 6 beta has many of the shortcuts that TextMate uses (I won't go as far as saying it has all of them, I don't know smile)

For example,
1. habtm<tab> gives has_and_belongs_to_many :objects with objects highlighted so you can specify what object it is
2. hm<tab> gives has_many :objects, ditto
3. bt<tab> gives belongs_to :object, ditto
4. re<tab> gives <%= %> in RHTML files with the mouse cursor between <%= and %>
5. r<tab> gives <% %>, ditto.

Any more you would like to share with us?

I have to say, I used to use TextMate but switched to NetBeans 6 when it was still in RC. I don't think I would ever go back, and pimpmaster - it runs really nice on OS X, even on my older Core Duo iMac with 1 GB of RAM.

I tried netbeans for a few months.  Its stable (insomuch as it doesn't crash), but it eats memory and is unresponsive randomly.  It isn't just my machine, either, I tried it on several.

I'm back to using e (finally coughed up the $)

I've been using Beta 2 of NetBeans 6 and the Ruby/Rails support is fantastic.  I'm restricted to a PC (otherwise I would be using TextMate/Terminal) but on the Windows side I don't think it can be beat.  I've used RadRails/Aptana and it's just very clunky compared to NB. 

Not to mention NetBeans is adding lots of very cool features:
ActiveRecord Auto-completion: http://blogs.sun.com/tor/entry/ruby_scr … the_week20
TextMate Color Scheme: http://blogs.sun.com/tor/entry/ruby_scr … the_week19
and awesome debugging features: http://blogs.sun.com/tor/entry/ruby_scr … the_week10

It's worth a look if you're developing on the PC side.  Plus I'm using JRuby for my Rails apps and it handles everything flawlessly (including building a nice context menu containing all of my Rake tasks when I right click my project).  Nice RSpec/Auto-Test support as well.

It's maturing by the day.

But, but, the interface is so ugly! sad

I am using NB6 b2 and find it quite nice.  Productivity is much increased.  I know of one of the guys doing the Ruby work on the NB platform and he is very very smart - has done a lot of IDE work before and you can tell.  This is very nice.

It has all the features I want a tons I have not tried yet.  For large projects I prefer having a nice comfy IDE.  But to each their own.  I like that you can get the NB6 download with *only* ruby features so you can have a very light setup if you want. 

I have not pushed on it too hard but the next time I get some free time I want to see if I can get mongrel integrated into the IDE as easily as the Webrick server.  I really like having everything I need for development in one frame.

When you tell Netbeans to start the server, it just runs script/server, so if you have mongrel installed, it will use mongrel by default just as script/server does.

i am on Ubuntu and sometimes Windows. I personally started using NetBeans on Windows cause windows-console is just too crappy to really work with it wink
On Linux i used gedit as my editor and was really happy with it, but as i got used to NetBeans i realized that i save a lot of time. All the things like snippets or plugins i had to write for my self for gedit where alrdy included and so i started dumping gedit and only used netbeans now.

For performance issues try using the Rails only version and use jRuby. In my experience if u use the full NetBeans version and/or ruby it really slows the ide down a lot.
I still use the console in Linux instead of the dialogs in NetBeans though

I personlly like light-editors like gedit or textmate better than a full ide but gedit lacks a lot of features and well i dont have a mac so textmate is no option for me

I'm currently using Textmate but I will switch to NetBeans 6 the same day it will be release so December 3!!!

Last edited by macsig (2007-11-19 20:32:22)