Topic: Do you really need the ruby for rails book?

Many people say that this book is great to explain the fundamental of ruby to rails only programmers. I only take a look at it and i read most of the pickaxe (at least the first 200 pages plus other things of interest about rails programming) and of course all the AWDVR as a rails developer. I think that the ruby for rails book isn't necessary if you read firstable at least the first 200 tutorial pages of the pickaxe and then the AWDWR. I mean if you need something to explain the code and the ruby stuff in the AWDWR what is better then the fundamental ruby book as the pickaxe? Infact i found the small stuff i needed to know for rails and for the AWDWR reading, of course in the pickaxe. So i see this ruby for rails book some sort of duplication and for sure only a very little concepts duplication that are in the pickaxe tome. At the end after reading most of the pickaxe and all the AWDWR i now have all the tools i need to build a complete rails app as i'm doing right know. Of course i'm always reading other rails specific pdfs but for the basics those books did the trick for me. What do ya think?

Re: Do you really need the ruby for rails book?

I have two eras as a programmer: before and after reading Ruby for Rails.

I haven't read the pickaxe, though. In my opinion, you like either the pickaxe, or Ruby for Rails. I have both books, and have read Ruby for Rails probably 3 times, while I haven't even read 100 pages in the pickaxe.

Both are great books, thought, and Ruby for Rails will probably teach you a lot of stuff that neither pickaxe or AWD tells ya.

The book is kind of a mixed bag in my opinion. Several of the chapters are very basic and repeat the Pickaxe. However, there's some gems in there too. Particularly the sections on OOP, modules, inheritance, and current scope. That stuff just isn't covered well in pickaxe. If you find yourself struggling in those areas then I'd recommend getting it and reading those chapters.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

ryanb wrote:

The book is kind of a mixed bag in my opinion. Several of the chapters are very basic and repeat the Pickaxe. However, there's some gems in there too. Particularly the sections on OOP, modules, inheritance, and current scope. That stuff just isn't covered well in pickaxe. If you find yourself struggling in those areas then I'd recommend getting it and reading those chapters.

so do you think this book could help me even if i think i have no problem right now to understand the ruby stuff (having read the pickaxe) in my daily rails projects?

If you want to learn more about the things I listed (OOP, modules, inheritance, and current scope) then I would recommend getting the book. Other then that I don't think it's a necessity.

I'd say you need it, because the more you look at familiar code (even if you don't understand it), you'll eventually pick it up from recognizing it, and then learn how it's really meant to be used. It's the same way a baby learns their first language. I think all the books I bought on Ruby / Rails helped a lot during my progression.

http://danielfischer.com - Personal Web-Technology-Blog, Los Angeles.

DFischer wrote:

I'd say you need it, because the more you look at familiar code (even if you don't understand it), you'll eventually pick it up from recognizing it, and then learn how it's really meant to be used. It's the same way a baby learns their first language. I think all the books I bought on Ruby / Rails helped a lot during my progression.

ok i will read it both with the red subversion book wink

Could you give the authors of the books that I should be reading to learn more on ruby and rails? I have done a masters project using ruby on rails framework and I used Agile book. But, I haven't read the whole book in systematic manner and just read few chapters and started coding it and whenever a new issue comes up when coding, I used to look for the solution in the book or net. Though I have finished my project using RoR, I don't really claim that I am RoR developer. So, could some one suggest me any other book apart from Agile (I will be reading it again now).

Thanks! in advance

newToruby wrote:

But, I haven't read the whole book in systematic manner and just read few chapters and started coding it and whenever a new issue comes up when coding, I used to look for the solution in the book or net.

If that approach works for you then I'd say stick with it. You'll probably learn more this way than reading a book straight through. In that case you just need to start a new project and get coding. smile

ryanb wrote:

i re-read this and i don't understand it. I mean in the pickaxe all of that is explained! The only thing that maybe isn't explained well is what you call "current scope" ( i think this refer to the concept of self object). Infact i can't find a specific section where it explain the self object but that is the only think not explained imo.
Infact after i read the pickaxe i quick-read RfR and i didn't find anything new in it for me.

The topics are mentioned in the pickaxe book, but it doesn't go into nearly as much details as Ruby for Rails does. IIRC it doesn't show how modules and inheritance interact and the details on how "super" will behave for example.

ryanb wrote:

The topics are mentioned in the pickaxe book, but it doesn't go into nearly as much details as Ruby for Rails does. IIRC it doesn't show how modules and inheritance interact and the details on how "super" will behave for example.

Have we read the same book ?:)
I have read about inheritance and modules and i can't understand what you mean for modules and inheritance interact. I also read a lot about super....I repeat, the only thing that for me is not mentioned well (only a very little) is the self object, for the rest i think it has all from the basics to more advanced stuff such as reflection and the like.