Topic: RECOMMEND: Book for Ruby

Hi,

What I know there are three best choices we have and each of them got success in their time and have good ratings on amazon (almost 5). And now when you need to pick one:

Programming Ruby
Beginning Ruby
Now,
Ruby by Example

Now, you guys tell me which one I should go for and if you know any promo code that could save some money then that even would be great too! thanks.

Re: RECOMMEND: Book for Ruby

I hesitate to give a recommendation because I only have one from that list: ruby programming (pickaxe). What I recommend is looking inside and reading the sample chapter of each one that is available on Amazon. You can find the chapters of the pickaxe book here.

I've heard a lot of good things about Beginning Ruby. If you want a more complete beginners guide I would get that. The pickaxe book is probably best if you're already an experienced programmer and just trying to get up to speed with the Ruby syntax and specifics. Not sure of Ruby by Example as I haven't heard anything about it.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

I highly suggest Ruby For Rails (assuming that's why you want to learn ruby) and Ruby Pocket Reference from O'Reilly.

BJ Clark
the science department
http://www.scidept.com/

Ruby for Rails was a great way to get off the ground for me.  However if you want an in depth ruby book and not just a reference, like the pickaxe, get "The Ruby Way"  It's fantastic.  I bought it just for the meta programming chapter.

If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs.

-SICP (Abelson, Sussman)

I suggest you to buy Programming ruby AND Ruby for Rails wink

Last edited by Eric_Jardas (2007-10-17 16:25:33)

Eric_Jardas wrote:

I suggest you to buy Programming ruby AND Ruby for Rails wink

i can't see any advantage of having both! If you have the pickaxe (and you aren't a total beginner) the ruby for rails would be a repetition....at least for me...

Programming Ruby is really good I think. Starts in depth, moves into a "review"-like session, and then contains lots of reference type stuff.

Also has some hilarious one liners buried in it :-) My favorite which I just had to write down, having had some pretty horrible programming classes at my college: "During your first week in a programming course (or the second semester if it was a party school), you may have had to write code to swap the values in two variables" hahaha.