Topic: Windows XP: What are some good color editors for Rails?

What are some good color editors for RoR?  I prefer a black background, but if there aren't any, then I guess white background is good too.

Re: Windows XP: What are some good color editors for Rails?

You can try E Text Editor or Intype.
I use Netbeans 6 Beta on Windows Vista.

I vote for E too. But you can try Aptana with RadRails also.

I also use E. It's a pretty good editor for the money.

I'm also using Ryan Bates' Textmate theme along with it to give it that black background effect. The Textmate theme imports right into E with no hassle.

Intype looks very promising (they have some interesting features), but their development progress is way too slow. They're on version 0.3x at the moment. The biggest downfall to Intype (IMO) is that there is no project pane (probably the most important thing to a developer), which means you have to open every file one by one without having a Windows-style tree-view. With the folder structure in Rails, this makes Intype pretty much useless in my opinion - at least for now. I'll check back with them in a year or so and see if they've put together a product that will speed up my workflow instead of crippling it.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Ignition wrote:

I also use E. It's a pretty good editor for the money.

I'm also using Ryan Bates' Textmate theme along with it to give it that black background effect. The Textmate theme imports right into E with no hassle.

Intype looks very promising (they have some interesting features), but their development progress is way too slow. They're on version 0.3x at the moment. The biggest downfall to Intype (IMO) is that there is no project pane (probably the most important thing to a developer), which means you have to open every file one by one without having a Windows-style tree-view. With the folder structure in Rails, this makes Intype pretty much useless in my opinion - at least for now. I'll check back with them in a year or so and see if they've put together a product that will speed up my workflow instead of crippling it.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Intype has a project pane in the newer builds. It has a lot of E's functionality already and it's a bit faster without the Cygwin junk.

I think it has what it takes to beat E.

*Edit: Sorry. I think it has what it takes to beat E, eventually.

Last edited by bmckay (2007-10-04 12:05:12)

Sweet! You just made my day. A project pane totally turns around my opinion of Intype. Now I can use it without jumping back and forth finding files in Windows Explorer.

For anyone interested, the unstable releases on Intype are posted here: http://intype.info/public/releases/unstable.rss

Chris

I was a big UltraEdit fan when on Windows. Very hard to beat for Rails too considering the multi-file nature of the language. I can't imagine using an editor for rails that doesn't have a full time display of the diretory tree and also allow each file to be a child window within the maximized parent of the editor.

Now using Quanta on Linux.

Netbeans 6.0 Beta 1 is pretty awesome, once you get past the default HTML/RHTML color settings for one of the themes... it's not pretty. The default theme is fine however and it is customisable.

Ruby In Steel is fully customizable - e.g. http://www.sapphiresteel.com/Customize- … f-the-Ruby

best wishes
Huw