Topic: Deploying to the UK

Hey all,

I am not too sure if any of you have heard of BrightBox (http://www.brightbox.co.uk). It's a new "Ruby on Rails Focused VPS" solution based in the UK.

I am by no means a Sys Admin, but I do have probably a simple question for those who have more knowledge in this sector than I do.

I currently live in the US, but if I happen to buy a VPS account at BrightBox (which is based in the UK), would there be any performance/access issues?  Is it not recommended just because of the geographical location?  What concerns are there when not hosting your rails app in the same part of the world as yourself?

Thanks in advance,
Adam

Last edited by xilo32 (2007-10-05 13:42:37)

Re: Deploying to the UK

I'd say the main thing to be concerned about is the latency it takes a request to get over there. You can read their blog post about it. You'll also have to handle the currency differences and support calls may cost more for long distance, etc. If you have a lot of European visitors then it might be worth it, but if not why not go with slicehost?

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

Re: Deploying to the UK

I currently have an account with SliceHost, and have been learning a quite bit about Sys Admin and Linux for the past two weeks on my own by building up the server, and tearing it back down to bare bones.  Unfortunately, I still have not figured out how to setup SVN on my server to where it can leverage Capistrano. Meaning, for some reason when I try to setup SVN, I can't access it remotely.

I come from a Developer background that never really had to worry about building servers, so my  Linux skills are lacking, but slowly building.

Do you know of any good articles that could supplement a Server that is using Ubuntu 7.04, Apache2, MySQL so I can possibly get Cap running my deployments properly?

Thanks in advance,
Adam