Topic: No previous programming experience, should I jump in?

Well, the title speaks for itself:

I have no prior programming experience (only a bit of PseudoCoding, which looks like Pascal) and of course no Ruby experience at all. On the other hand, I am really interested in the whole web development thing so studying wouldn't be a problem.

So, what should I do? Go for Ruby On Rails or just begin with Ruby and move to Rails later?

Re: No previous programming experience, should I jump in?

Moved to General

Jump in!

I've been trying to teach myself programming for years and never got that far.  Rails is the first time I've actually had fun doing it.

Its worth knowing a little bit of Ruby first.  Chris Pine has done an excellent book called Learning To Program which uses Ruby.  There's a free online version and also an expanded/updated book version.

Other than that, I don't think you really need to know much Ruby to work with Rails.  You can learn it as you go, as I did/am.

I tried to learn both at the same time. rails almost has its own way of doing things, I had difficulty learning rails, I came from a php procedural background and found it difficult to get my head around an object language. I picked up a book called Ruby for Rails, which helped me greatly.

--