Topic: Getting started with SVN in rails

After viewing ryanb's screencast on using SVN and rails I had some questions about using SVN in rails.

I assume if everyone's deploying with Capistrano they all use SVN. How do you guys go about setting up the SVN originally? Manually each time, or did you write your own scripts after getting annoyed at doing it manually. There's quite a few scripts available online that more or less do the same thing. Do you even use SVN each time, or only when you know you're going to be deploying the application? I guess I'm just interested in your experiences with SVN and rails.

Re: Getting started with SVN in rails

scott32 wrote:

After viewing ryanb's screencast on using SVN and rails I had some questions about using SVN in rails.

I assume if everyone's deploying with Capistrano they all use SVN. How do you guys go about setting up the SVN originally? Manually each time, or did you write your own scripts after getting annoyed at doing it manually. There's quite a few scripts available online that more or less do the same thing. Do you even use SVN each time, or only when you know you're going to be deploying the application? I guess I'm just interested in your experiences with SVN and rails.

I manage without it. I'm not that experienced as a developer. Ok I've developed during many years, and mostly in PHP and a little in Lasso, but I'm rather new to Rails. I've tried SVN but found it a bit difficult to get into and more extra work than benefit. If you are running solo like me and just want to deal with a few apps at the time then I suggest you make a backup of your project now and then. Becomes much the same as SVN. But that's me, who remember what I've done in my head and can go back to exactly to where I know I departed. For me SVN is like keeping a checklist for what to do when going to bed, every night. I've also asked about deploying with Capistrano without SVN. I think there is a demand for it.

If you work in a team I think SVN is a must.

Last edited by palb (2007-10-18 09:43:43)

Re: Getting started with SVN in rails

As palb said, for teamwork SVN is a must.

I use SVN on almost all personal projects in development, long before thinking of deployment. It really helps me knowing that I can revert any time I want and can easy track changes.

Re: Getting started with SVN in rails

I definitely struggled with Subversion for more than a week before I got used to it. It's one of those things that you have to force yourself to use for a while. After that it becomes second nature and much easier to deal with.

As for when to use it, ask yourself if you will ever need to sync the project up to some other location. This could be with another programmer, or to a server for deployment, or even to another computer that you work on. If it's a small project which doesn't need syncing or the ability to rollback then I don't bother with it.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

Re: Getting started with SVN in rails

i didn't get used to svn at first, then someone started assembla.com, love it ever since

Re: Getting started with SVN in rails

SVN is great. its so easy to sync a project I'm working on with the my dev machine at home, the server, and my machine at work. Makes deploying with capistrano a breeze, but like ryan, it took about a week to get used to.

I just found a great page on the rails wiki not 15 minutes ago:
http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages … Subversion

Re: Getting started with SVN in rails

Thanks for all your comments. I actually wound up going the git route, we'll see how much playing around I have to do to get it to work with capistrano.

Re: Getting started with SVN in rails

pjleonhardt wrote:

SVN is great. its so easy to sync a project I'm working on with the my dev machine at home, the server, and my machine at work. Makes deploying with capistrano a breeze, but like ryan, it took about a week to get used to.

I just found a great page on the rails wiki not 15 minutes ago:
http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages … Subversion

This a bit reassuring to know, that more experienced developers also struggled smile

I think I'll try svn again, but not now.

Anyway, if someone could help me to understand how to set up the server it would be a great help. What is the actual Virtual Root with a server running svn? Is that in the svn directory? Do you run the svn server then? Probably a stupid question, but I can't understand what is what in this case.

(I/we have one server running Litespeed with a few rails apps. I as the developer have the same setup locally.)

Re: Getting started with SVN in rails

palb wrote:

Anyway, if someone could help me to understand how to set up the server it would be a great help. What is the actual Virtual Root with a server running svn? Is that in the svn directory? Do you run the svn server then? Probably a stupid question, but I can't understand what is what in this case.

(I/we have one server running Litespeed with a few rails apps. I as the developer have the same setup locally.)

http://trac.lighttpd.net/trac/wiki/Apac … sionRecipe is this what you're looking for? Scroll down for information about lighttpd. Are you trying to use lighttpd to serve svn (so you can use the https/http protocol instead of svn)? Or do you want to use svnserve to do it?

The actual virtual root would be the directory created via svnadmin.