Topic: Share Your Syntax Color Theme

The color theme I'm using now is very similar to the one I was using in my PHP days. Here it is:

http://www.rybud.com/images/code_themes/light_ruby.png
http://www.rybud.com/images/code_themes/light_html.png

I feel like I'm behind the times with the rigid aliased font, so I'm itchin to switch to something a little more modern. The All Hallow's Eve theme in TextMate seems to be the most popular. Here's my variation of it, but I'm having trouble getting used to it.

http://www.rybud.com/images/code_themes/dark_ruby.png

Now I'm curious what all of you use for your syntax highlighting. Maybe I'll see something I like. smile

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

Re: Share Your Syntax Color Theme

TextMate's default.

My RoR journey  -- thoughts on learning RoR and lessons learned in applying TDD and agile practices.

Vibrant Ink with the Consolas font.

vinnie - rails forum admin

I'm not a big fan of the Vibrant Ink or All Hallows Eve theme.  I think the problem, for me, is that those don't seem to have a color "family".  The colors are garish and clash.  Most of the "default" on most IDEs tend to be rather unabstrusive, while being useful.  I've always like how comments almost disappear when they use a generally lighter color than all others.  The way unclosed strings/comments turn the whole screen a color is fine, and as the whole screen changes, it doesn't have to be a saturated color to be noticed.

The textmate default seems to use the same about of "gray" mixed into each color that the colors feesl harmonious.  Personally, if I had to look at the more saturateed colors on black, I'd have a headache after about 30 minutes.

My RoR journey  -- thoughts on learning RoR and lessons learned in applying TDD and agile practices.

I use vim running the oceandeep theme, I used to use dark on light schemes but inspired by you fancy textmate peeps I tried a light on dark style and now can't stand it any other way! but pure black is a little too dark for my tastes, also too many colours detract from the flowing nature of the ruby code, hence, oceandeep - a perfect, relaxed style

So I just checked out oceandeep;  that has a very nice zen quality.  I'm not sure if I'd find the contrast good over long periods or late at night, but during the day I can see that being a very nice theme to work in.

I also just previewed all the TestMate built-in themes for the first time..

The ones I liked (in no particular order) :Twilight, IDLE, Expresso Libre,  & Dawn.  (Two light on dark, two dark on light) all three subdued colors and consistent amounts of gray mixed in).

The ones that would drive me crazy to use Brilliance Black, iPlastic, &  MagicWB

Guess I'm changing from MacClassic.  I'm going to give Espresso Libre a try for a few days...  I wish it wasn't quite so bright,  with its "accents", but I like that its not white on black for "normal" text -- I find that too high contrast for some reason.  However I'm not enough of a designer to think I could tweak the colors in an intelligent way to make what I want.

If you want to see something odd, try iPlastic with LucidaCalligraphy Font smile

Last edited by NielsenE (2006-10-11 23:28:32)

Went to have a look at the textmate themes available on their website and I see what you mean about espresso libre, but I would imagine that would still be very comfortable to to work with as is

Another one I saw there was a one inspired by the new styling at ruby-lang.org  not one you'd want to work with all day, imho, but certainly very clear for quick editing

All this is getting me thinking about writing my own scheme, designed around web programming and the languages I use - Ah! yet another way to waste more time! big_smile

btw, on the font front I've been using 'Anonymous' recently, was using lucida console but I reckon anonymous has it beat (especially love the clear zero / capital O distinction) - homepage: http://www.ms-studio.com/FontSales/anonymous.html
(it's freeware)

Last edited by Baltar (2006-10-12 05:41:35)

Oh man you guys. I'm not getting any work done now, just perfecting my syntax highlighting! LOL.

Do you prefer anti-aliased? And at what font-size?

I just found this great list of fonts on the textmate page. I'm trying out Bitstream Vera and am really liking it so far (at 11 anti-aliased)

Last edited by ryanb (2006-10-12 11:22:58)

haha, tell me about it, in fact this whole week hasn't exactly been productive!

I'm using anonymous at 9pt regular (can't stand bold fonts for text editing - urrgh!)

as for anti-alias I'm just rendering using standard windows clear-type settings, which to give MS their due look damned good (whoever they paid to do the font rendering work did a helluva lot better job than the guy hired to do the UI design!)

my textmate theme:

http://fluidsyntax.com/misc/tm_themes/rb.gif
http://fluidsyntax.com/misc/tm_themes/rhtml.gif

using monaco at llpt anti-aliased

I find themes with light backgrounds much harder to look at for long periods of time than themes with dark ones... they make me feel tired more quickly smile

Last edited by idlefingers (2008-07-23 10:50:42)

Pretty theme idlefingers! Did you make it? I would like to try it out, do you mind sharing the file? smile

Cheers. I think I started with all hallows eve and just went nuts with it until I was happy.

Here you go..

http://idlefingers.co.uk/

(I couldn't think of an original name for it smile )

Last edited by idlefingers (2009-03-21 18:18:33)

Thank you very much! All Hallow's Eve is a little too hard on my eyes. Yours is much easier to look at.

I'm still not certain whether I like light on dark or dark on light. I'm trying both out.

Last edited by ryanb (2006-10-12 17:23:31)

I agree it's a lovely theme you've got there, love the blue symbol colouring (then again everything about ruby's symbols fill me with joy big_smile )

I wonder, is there anybody who likes coding for long periods with a dark on light scheme? Perhaps my eyes are getting old but they really begin to hurt after even a short time with a bright background

You guys all seem to be on Macs, do you agree with a lot of comments on the 'net that Macs tend to 'blur' fonts too much, or is it a lot of rubbish?

Baltar wrote:

I wonder, is there anybody who likes coding for long periods with a dark on light scheme? Perhaps my eyes are getting old but they really begin to hurt after even a short time with a bright background

I've pretty much always coded with dark-on-light, so I don't have anything to compare it to. I did try a cream-colored background one time, but I got tired of it.

Baltar wrote:

You guys all seem to be on Macs, do you agree with a lot of comments on the 'net that Macs tend to 'blur' fonts too much, or is it a lot of rubbish?

It's not rubbish. Some fonts do tend to blur at certain sizes. You can specify the "font smoothing style" which I have played around with a bit. It's not perfect, but I have gotten used to it. I admit, it is noticeably annoying every so often.

Baltar wrote:

I like dark on light and I regularly code close to 12 hours straight with only minor breaks.

Although I haven't gone on any multi-hour coding sprees yet, I've been using idlefinger's light-on-dark theme and I'm loving it! It's already feeling more comfortable than what I had before. I think it may be more fun to program in this theme than what I had before too. Thanks again for the theme.

I did end up adjusting it a little bit. I also found Ruby allows me to program in a larger font than other languages, so I'm using 12pt Bitstream Vera - no more squinting. smile

Here it is.

http://www.rybud.com/images/code_themes/gray_ruby.png

Cool! I'm glad you're liking it, ryan. I like the purple you've used for the variables.

This is a pretty nice theme idlefingers smile

vinnie - rails forum admin

@idefingers - I think I might have a go at vim-ifying your theme, my current theme of choice oceandeep wasn't really conceived with rails in mind and it looks like yours might be more pleasant - might take me a while though, vim's theme files ain't nice simple XML

@ryanb - that's a really good point actually! since rails tends to separate out things why the hell am I using such a small font?!? sometimes the most obvious things pass right by me.... big_smile