Mongrel doesn't start. It ends with the error:

dyld: NSLinkModule() error
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.15.dylib
  Referenced from: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7/lib/mysql.bundle
  Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap

What could be wrong?

Re: Mongrel doesn't start

There's something going on with `image`. Is there some kind of image library you are using?

What is your environment? Linux? Mac OS X? Windows?

You might try this:

gem install mysql

to install the latest version of the mysql gem. Uninstalling it first might help too (`gem uninstall mysql`).

email the future with www.l8r.nu

I use Mac OS.

Actually Mongrel starts. But when I click the info link on the Rails start page, you know the yellow field with the javascript action, it dies with the message above.

Maybe it could be when I installed "sudo gem install mysql -- --with-mysql-dir=/usr/local/mysql"

How do I uninstall that? With "sudo gem uninstall mysql"?

I did an uninstall of mysql and now it works? What gives? Would be good if it works if the performance becomes better.

Did you recently upgrade MySQL or reinstall the developer tools or OS X? I rebuilt my system over the weekend and have the same issue now. I'm using version 5.0.41 of MySQL.

One thing to note is the file it says it cannot find:

/usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.15.dylib

is not there, though it is here:

/usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.15.dylib

I also get the exact same error when trying to make install php5. So it isn't a Ruby/Mongrel specific problem. I tried installing the previous version of MySQL (5.0.37) and have the same problem.

sterling wrote:

Did you recently upgrade MySQL or reinstall the developer tools or OS X? I rebuilt my system over the weekend and have the same issue now. I'm using version 5.0.41 of MySQL.

Yes. I did.

palb wrote:
sterling wrote:

Yes. I did.

I'm guessing that's it. Try going down to version 5.0.33, or whichever was before 5.0.37. I've got a meeting, but I will try after that, I'll post my results.

I installed the MySQL 5.1.18 beta and also tried with 5.0.27. Both worked fine. There must be an issue with 5.0.37 and 5.0.41.

sterling wrote:

I installed the MySQL 5.1.18 beta and also tried with 5.0.27. Both worked fine. There must be an issue with 5.0.37 and 5.0.41.

Good to know.

If you're on OS X and you see this problem, you need to change the "Install Name" (see http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?ApplicationLinking) for the mysqlclient library in /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7/lib/mysql.bundle.  This command in Terminal fixed it for me, after installing the MySQL binary packages from www.mysql.com and the latest rails from gem:

sudo install_name_tool -change /usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.15.dylib /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.15.dylib /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7/lib/mysql.bundle

jhclouse wrote:

If you're on OS X and you see this problem, you need to change the "Install Name" (see http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?ApplicationLinking) for the mysqlclient library in /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7/lib/mysql.bundle.  This command in Terminal fixed it for me, after installing the MySQL binary packages from www.mysql.com and the latest rails from gem:

sudo install_name_tool -change /usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.15.dylib /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.15.dylib /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7/lib/mysql.bundle

I don't have that file. But I have /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a

Will the above command affect the settings for php?

Last edited by palb (2007-05-18 15:30:07)

I worked around this by creating the directory "mysql" in the "/usr/local/mysql/lib" directory and then placing symbolic links inside that directory pointing back to the original "libs" directory.  Worked fine...:

# cd /usr/local/mysql/lib
# mkdir mysql
# cd mysql
# ln -s /usr/local/mysql/lib/lib* .

This was to get a php install to be happy on OSX but should work for this rails problem I would guess...

I got it up and running, but it was a big problem. Can't remember what I did now, but it was related to mysql when configuring Apache2. Seems like a bug or something. I've seen many with the same problem.

jhclouse wrote:

This works like a charm on OS X.  Thanks.

This worked for me also. Thanks!!!

Application's environment
OS X 10.4.9
mySQL 5.0.41
Ruby version            1.8.6 (powerpc-darwin8.9.0)
RubyGems version    0.9.2
Rails version            1.2.3
Active Record version    1.15.3
Action Pack version    1.13.3
Action Web Service version    1.2.3
Action Mailer version    1.3.3
Active Support version    1.4.2
Application root    /Users/****/testapp
Environment    development
Database adapter    mysql

YES!!!! Post 15 worked for me too!   Thanks a bunch...saved me from a really bad headache.

Hey guys...

I am completely new to RoR...i did all my isntalling a few days ago and am now going through some tutorials...I got a similar error with mysql...

"dyld: NSLinkModule() error
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.15.dylib
  Referenced from: /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/i686-darwin8.10.1/mysql.bundle
  Reason: image not found"

The difference between mine and the rest is that the path to "mysql.bundle" is different than the rest...it is in /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/i686-darwin8.10.1/ 

should it be there?

I edited the command to fix the problem and it worked...here is what I used to fix my problem...

sudo install_name_tool -change /usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.15.dylib /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.15.dylib /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/i686-darwin8.10.1/mysql.bundle

PLEASE let me know if the mysql.bundle should be in " /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7/lib/"

Thanks a ton guys!

for the record...Im running Mac OS 10.4.9

Thank you so very much! Post 11 got me back on track!

For gems installed in /opt/local:

sudo install_name_tool -change /usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.15.dylib /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.15.dylib /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7/lib/mysql.bundle