Topic: Send Faxes with Rails

Is it possible? Anyone out there doing it?

Re: Send Faxes with Rails

acts_as_faxable ? big_smile

Seriously, I've never seen anything like this, that is a library for some language that allows one to send a fax.  I don't really even know how that would work.

Sure, no problem.  If you are on linux, you could run a fax daemon like efax, format your fax as a pdf file using the pdf-writer gem, save the file, run it through imagemagick to convert it to a format that efax can accept, and queue it up.  Straightforward?  No.  Possible?  Sure, everything is possible in software.  smile

BrewControl.com - Brewery and Brewpub management powered by RoR

I imagine that the what you'd have to do with Rails would be a very small part of the challenge.  Like bkrahmer said, you'd have to setup a whole load of fax sending infrastructure on your machine, then you probably use fairly standard libs to talk to it.

Another approach could be to use an online service - simpler but I imagine a bit more expensive.  A quick search turns up a few places that will send the faxes for you and all you have to do is send an http request to them (REST or SOAP I imagine).

I can't stop thinking about Rails. Can't sleep, can't eat, can't concentrate on work. It must be love.

Hey,

Just wondering if you had any luck getting faxes sent...

This one's still on the back burner, unfortunately sad

Whats a fax? tongue