Topic: 1.2.5 locally, app using 1.2.3, how to play together nice?

as the subject eludes, I have 1.2.5 installed locally. recently checked out an app that was started, and has continued to be programmed in 1.2.3.

I have tried to freeze the 1.2.3 app, but continue to get the "required gem missing..." error that tells me to rectify the situation by running 'gem install rails -v=1.2.3'. however, it doesn't seem that installing an older version is the way to go.

I know i could simply update the environment.rb to 1.2.5, but I am trying to avoid this as, again, it doesn't seem to be recommended.

does anyone have any ideas as to why i continue to get this error when attempting to freeze? or better yet, an idea on how to get past this problem?

thanks in advance for your thoughts.

cheers - eric

Re: 1.2.5 locally, app using 1.2.3, how to play together nice?

Hmm, so you say you don't want to do "gem install rails -v=1.2.3" AND you don't want to change the variable in environment.rb. This is like giving a maybe answer for a Yes/No question. You either have to install the older version of rails or change your environment file, that's the easy ways.

Or you could run:

rake rails:freeze:gems

whilst in your application's root directory which should freeze rails to vendor/rails

I had this prob too.. I dont think updating environment.rb should cause any prob, since the immediately higher versions will be downward compatible to immediately lower versions. No?

Radar & Pavalino, thanks for your replies.

I know what you mean. It seems the easy fixes are off the table. I personally do not want to put 1.2.3 back on the local machine just to accomodate one app (i have other apps in progress using 1.2.5 on the machine). I didn't think changing the environment.rb would raise so many eyebrows, but seeing as how this app has been checked out of a repository, the repository "manager" specifically requested I not mod the envi.rb file.

I can't figure out why the freeze isn't working. Obviously, it's on my end, I just don't know where to look.

I am working on OS X.4.10, recently I had an issue that required an archive and install. After that process I had to update Ruby, and completely reinstall Rails. Am I wrong in thinking that 1.2.5 would support 1.2.3?

1.2.5 should work together nicely with 1.2.3

though i think it should be no problem to install the older version. I have right now installed v 1.2.1, 1.2.3 and 1.2.5 on my local machine. the old versions don't get removed when you update to a new one, and though i didn't test it, i bet installing 1.2.3 after 1.2.5 won't remove the newer version. you just end up with 2 rails gems on your machine.

for what it's worth. I just did the normal/logical thing and mod'd the environment.rb to 1.2.5. I'll just have to be careful not to check it back in to our repository!

cheers - Fb