Topic: problem after updating rails

i'm on OS X 10.5.1 Leopard with rails 1.2.3 installed. after doing a sudo gem update rails -y, the new rails (v1.2.6) and activexxx files were downloaded to my usergems dir, and when i tried to start up mongrel (ruby scripts/server), i got the messages below indicating that rails 1.2.3 was activated first, therefore rails 1.2.6 can't be activated.  could someone tell me how to recover from this problem (i want to start using rails 1.2.6 since i'm just starting a brand new app)? should i have specified an install directory (the /System/Frameworks/Ruby.Frameworks ... dir ?) when i did the rails update?

** Ruby version is up-to-date; cgi_multipart_eof_fix was not loaded
** Starting Mongrel listening at 0.0.0.0:3000
** Starting Rails with development environment...
Exiting
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:249:in `activate': can't activate rails (= 1.2.6), already activated rails-1.2.3] (Gem::Exception)
    from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `require'
    from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.2/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:495:in `require'
    from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.2/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:342:in `new_constants_in'
    from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.2/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:495:in `require'
    from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/commands/server.rb:39
    from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `gem_original_require'
    from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require'
    from script/server:3

Re: problem after updating rails

after changing RAILS_GEM_VERSION in my environment.rb to 1.2.6, i got the messages below instead. not sure how to recover/fix THAT problem. could someone help? thanks!

Exiting
/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.6/lib/commands/servers/mongrel.rb:15: warning: already initialized constant OPTIONS
/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.6/lib/commands/servers/mongrel.rb:18: undefined method `options' for []:Array (NoMethodError)
    from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:32:in `gem_original_require'
    from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:32:in `require'
    from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:495:in `require'
    from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:342:in `new_constants_in'
    from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:495:in `require'
    from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.6/lib/commands/server.rb:39
    from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `gem_original_require'
    from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require'
    from script/server:3

Re: problem after updating rails

after some searching/googling, those who have encountered similar problems have mentioned that the problem could be related to some missing gem dependencies (although the error message is kinda not helpful).  since the only new gem i installed was ruby-debug, i redid the install and made sure i downloaded any dependencies as well (i thought i did but i redid it anyways).  now i'm good!!