Topic: How do you get this thing running right?

I have tried every tutorial that google has and I can't get anything to run stable enough that I can actually finish one of my books with success. This is by the most irritating thing to configure. I am so tired of this run around. Are there any tutorials that can set up a stable system with mysql, rails. Lets even just start with that. Locomotive and Instant rails help but they seem to not run certain things for god knows why.

One problem that is making me angry is i followed the hive tutorial for installing mysql
it runs
says it .. shows mysql monitor
i can add databases
than.. i try running mongrel to get rails going. guess what type in terminal mysql -uroot.. mysql is not a command. nice mysql is gone. why can't anything work out.

Re: How do you get this thing running right?

What operating system?

I have tried doing all the steps via Windows XP on one machine than trying to set up on OSX Leopard.

Both different things resulted in failures. So far I have not had one tutorial set up work for me correctly to even get past the first few chapters of any of the books I have. I always get some gem issue of some sort. How do you figure out what gems version is the right.. I am about to format all my things and start over cause i am so tired of failure.

Is there a way I just found a program called MAMP and install ruby 1.8.2 . ruby gems 9.5 and rails 1.8.6 and would that be a succesfful development server?...

Last edited by ObsoleteAsian (2007-11-28 21:33:14)

Perhaps what you're looking for is something like the one-click-installer

Formatting will not solve your problems, persistance will.

Whatever error messages you've been given post them here and we can help you.

No more worries. I am granting myself the retard of the month award. I wasn't aware that Apple rolled all the ingredients into leopard

You don't need to install anything to get an actual system running.

Someone backhand me.