Topic: Gravatar or roll your own?

I've been using gravatar on my site for about a year now and have only run into one of 250 registered users with a gravatar.  The point in using it was to have one less thing for a user to do.  Has anyone had any 'success' with gravatar? Is it widely used?  Rolling your own solution is pretty easy so I'm thinking it might be the better way to go.  Any opinions out there?

Re: Gravatar or roll your own?

I prefer a roll your own solution.  Gravatar is a good idea in theory, but I think most Internet users probably don't have an account, and so feels like one more thing to do, not one less.  Plus, I like to use different avatars on different sites -- I'd rather not be tied to a single image.

Also, I generally like to rely on outside services as little as possible (though with Automattic's backing, Gravatar probably isn't going anywhere).

Josh Catone helps run this place
Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

We're about to plug in more than a million new avatars to Gravatar, so hopefully it will be more useful in the future. An older version of Gravatar also had a registration API, and I think that'd be useful to resurrect as well.

Josh, with Gravatar you can use different emails to show different avatars, it used to be a paid feature but we made it free.

Ah, very cool.  Thanks for the update, Matt. smile

Does Gravatar support OpenID, or have any plans for that?  That'd be nifty. smile

Josh Catone helps run this place
Rails Forum - Rails Jobs