Topic: NetBeans 6 and Fast Debugger

Hello guys,
I have just installed NB 6.0 and I would like to use fast debugger but when I try using ruby gems I have a warning about permissions.

How can I manually change the gem directory permission ???

THANKS

Re: NetBeans 6 and Fast Debugger

What OS are you using ?

You need to chmod (or chown to your user) the gems folder. In my Ubuntu I chowned /var/lib/gems/1.8. For more details read http://wiki.netbeans.org/wiki/view/RubyGems .

I use Mac X 5.1

I don't know what means chmod (or chown). Could someone explain to me all the passes I have to do.

THANKS A LOT

Look up unix commands to change permissions on files/folders.

chmod is one of those commands and it lets you set who can do what ( i.e. read/write ) with a file/folder.

Thanks, I took a look of unix commands but I don't know which file I have to edit. I'm a mac newbie and I have never used unix.

Can someone let me know the code I have to use in order to manually change the gem directory permission.

Thank you, I appreciate your help

up

Thanks

Last edited by macsig (2007-12-28 13:11:35)

Please, I can't fix it

Can someone help me ???

THANK YOU SO MUCH

Sorry but I do not have a Mac so I do not know the path but from what I seen on the internet you could try

sudo chmod -R 777 /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
sudo chmod -R 777 /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8

Last edited by ropiku (2008-01-07 14:02:09)

You might want to try posting this to users@ruby.netbeans.org where this has been discussed a couple of times. I think somebody is writing a FAQ for it. Here's a similar thread:
http://www.nabble.com/Can%27t-get-the-f … 10505.html

i know  that there is a terminal in the mac too and commands are really similar to the actual Unix commands .

I don't use mac but I am sure that you can use the chmod (change mod ) chown (change owner) commands there .

Hey folks,

This is frustrating, I've done all of the following and still can't get it to work:

Macintosh:Gems barmstrong$ sudo gem install ruby-debug-ide
...(installed fine)
Macintosh:Gems barmstrong$ echo $GEM_HOME
/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/
Macintosh:Gems barmstrong$ sudo chown -fR barmstrong /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/
Password:
Macintosh:Gems barmstrong$ sudo chmod -R 777 /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/
Macintosh:Gems barmstrong$

restarted NetBeans after each one of these and tried running/installing it, and fast debugger still not working sad

Any ideas?

My blog: www.StartBreakingFree.com
My first rails app: www.UniversityTutor.com
My second rails app: www.BuyersVote.com

Finally solved this using these instructions:  http://www.gewinnt-immer.de/?p=66

Note: i originally tried to edit the file from the command line and it didn't work for some reason.  Once i opened it up in textmate and added those two lines, rebooted netbeans, it worked.

Damn, another 2 hours gone just getting debug working!

My blog: www.StartBreakingFree.com
My first rails app: www.UniversityTutor.com
My second rails app: www.BuyersVote.com