Topic: Can I use Ruby on Rails for this project?

Hey, right now I use just plain ol' Ruby for my website. I've got things broken down into different classes, files, etc, so things run pretty smoothly and cleanly enough... but not with any MVC concepts involved. I've considered moving my project to use rails, which may simplify my life a little.

But there are a couple of things that can concern me. I use a shared hosting server (not my own) and run multiple websites with the same code. Each site has it's own directory and imports the master Ruby script. Basically, I set a couple of variables about the layout, then I call ("require /var/folder/folder/master.rb") in my .cgi file.

Will I still be able to have more than one website running from the same set of files?

Also, not all of my data is stored in databases. For example, my pages are simply text files which the controlling program reads. Here's two of the websites:
http://www.ryankopf.com
http://www.aiowa.com

Re: Can I use Ruby on Rails for this project?

You can have a single rails apps run multiple domains.

But any site you build with rails will reuse the installed Rails system gem.

So the framework is reused.

If you just have static text/html pages reusing some basic layout elements than Rails may be overkill ...

Toby Hede
===================================================
FiniteStateMachine - Software Development for Social Networks

Well, I have text pages for a lot of things. But I have image galleries that I want to connect to a database (comments, description, etc). Plus I have a multi-side-wide messaging system and other things that I want to have incorporated. Additionally, I'm working on adding more and more features... social networking stuff, etc. Thanks for the help! I'm stuck using GoDaddy (lol) and am simply praying to make this dang simple thing work.

In that case Rails is the way to go ... you can definitely share code across applications.

I can't comment on GoDaddy as a viable Rails host ...

Toby Hede
FiniteStateMachine - Software Development for Social Networks

kopf1988 wrote:

Well, I have text pages for a lot of things. But I have image galleries that I want to connect to a database (comments, description, etc). Plus I have a multi-side-wide messaging system and other things that I want to have incorporated. Additionally, I'm working on adding more and more features... social networking stuff, etc. Thanks for the help! I'm stuck using GoDaddy (lol) and am simply praying to make this dang simple thing work.

wow, how do you have time to run for mayor? smile

Good question, lol. I just try to start things early enough to get them done, ^_^

Anyone have any luck getting GoDaddy to work with rails? I've already read hundreds of blog and forum answers about it. I think I have to uninstall rails and reinstall a lower version (1.1.6). How do I do that effectively?