Topic: Recommend some VPS hosting for Rails Forum

As some of you may have seen, we're reaching the limit of what our shared hosting account can handle. Over the last few days we've hit the maximum number of allowed connections in Mysql on this host, so lots of people (including me) are getting denied access. We're looking for a good VPS provider to host this site and possibly a few others on.

Right now Slicehost seems to have the best deal going, but their waiting list is a few weeks. I put in an order, but I don't think anyone wants to deal with these issues for the next few weeks until we can get a server. If I do find something else before then I'll just use the slicehost account for my personal domains instead. So here's our criteria:

1. Available now or very soon (within a few days)
2. Somewhere around slicehost's pricing for equivalent features. If it's a little more expensive then that's fine, but I don't want to pay $50+ a month for 256MB like many places are advertising.
3. Supports Apache, PHP, Rails, and MySQL (though I'm pretty sure this doesn't matter since I have to install this all myself)

Any ideas?

vinnie - rails forum admin

Re: Recommend some VPS hosting for Rails Forum

I seem to always here good things about Spry (www.spry.com) ... though I am now a little wary of any company that would so blatantly steal the Site5 design.  On the other hand, since we're currently on Site5, it wouldn't seem like much of a move, perhaps. wink

There's always the Media Temple Dedicated Virtual: http://www.mediatemple.net/webhosting/dv/pricing.htm

I know the Grid Server got some knocks, but most everything else I hear about them is positive.

Josh Catone helps run this place
Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

Josh wrote:

I seem to always here good things about Spry (www.spry.com) ...

Their footer suggests that they are in league with VPS Link (256 MB / $25)

I know nothing about them, I'm in the slice crowd.

samsm wrote:
Josh wrote:

I seem to always here good things about Spry (www.spry.com) ...

Their footer suggests that they are in league with VPS Link (256 MB / $25)

I know nothing about them, I'm in the slice crowd.

VPSlink looks interesting, I'll be checking them out. Thanks sam!

vinnie - rails forum admin

What about Joyent's Accelerator

http://www.joyent.com/accelerator

MediaTemples DV is good providing you know how to maintain your own server because their support won't help you with it especially if you start customising it.

Last edited by sydneyfx (2007-08-08 22:40:08)

Re: VPSLink, I think now that you mention it, I seem to remember they are a "budget" VPS provider from Spry.  I.e., for people who don't want or need CPanel or Plesk, etc. smile

Josh Catone helps run this place
Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

I love Slicehost.  I've got two slices with them now.  Even though they say it's a decent wait, it generally opens up much faster than you think.  If you'd commit to a year, you'll probably have your invite email within 24 hours.

Ok, so my recommendation is a little biased (I work there)  --> Linode.com

A Linode 256 @ $19.95/mo would suit your needs.

Some of the things I believe set Linode apart from the rest:

* Awesome community (forum + irc + support)

* Multiple IPs per Linode

* No waiting list / No contracts (cancel any time with a pro-rated refund) / No pre-payments

* Access your Linode out of band with remote console access.

* Create your own recovery distro (or deploy Finnix)

* Using the web interface you can deploy multiple Linux distributions, manage your virtual disk images, set reverse dns, utilize free managed domain name hosting.

* Instantly add additional resources to your account (More Linodes/RAM/Disk Space/Bandwidth/IPs)

* Three geographically diverse data centers to choose from (CA, TX, GA)

We are also proud to be sponsoring Rails Rumble 2007

Hi,

I just tried www.dreamhost.com which is quite nice :

- Support Ruby on Rails,
- 500Go of disk space,
- 5To of bandwith,
for $5.95/month

Best regards and happy new year,

teum

Slicehost.

teum wrote:

I just tried www.dreamhost.com which is quite nice :

May be for some unused starter account, but certainly not for something like "Rails Forum".

See link below.

http://elliottback.com/wp/archives/2007 … t-hosting/

- spike

Slicehost +++

Great service, great staff. No complaints whatsoever.

I personally use the 20$ Linode VPS and it has been great.

We recently upgraded the specs on our virtual servers.  The base plan is now a Linode 360 @ $19.95 per month and the top plan is now a Linode 1440 @ $79.95 per month.  Check out http://www.linode.com/