Topic: bignerdranch ruby on rails boot camp?

Hi everyone,

I have been looking at the ruby on rails boot camp and I am wondering if anyone here has any experience with this company, and it is really worth the money (3500 dollars seems a bit high), or if I would be better off buying more ruby books and working on their examples?

this is the info on the course:
http://www.bignerdranch.com/classes/ruby.shtml

Thank you

-patrick

Re: bignerdranch ruby on rails boot camp?

I'm not familiar with BigNerdRanch, but $3500!?!

For that kind of money you had better get a certification that means something in the industry. Also for that kind of cash you could take a few classes in computer science at the local university that might do more for you in the long run (general development > specific language skills).

For Obj -c Yeah it seems worth it. For rails ? No. Hell MAYBE if it teaches you Ruby and Mongrel and Merb as well. Then ', maybe. No still not .

They are tripping with that price tag

I went to this in Atlanta last summer (on my bosses nickel). I was a total Rails newbie at the time (not much past that now) and in hindsight I can say I learned more from the Agile book.

The learning materials weren't great and the instruction seemed to lurch from point to point. I was left trying to figure out how we'd gotten from one topic to the next and fill in the gaps on my own by flipping through a book to keep up.

It seems to me the class was trying to be all things to all people (newbies and veterans) and in the end didn't serve either very well.

I'd go buy a couple hundred dollars worth of books and spend that week studying on your own. When you're done you can use the balance to go party and celebrate your new skillz :-)

Last edited by Yak (2008-01-14 16:19:07)

jbartels wrote:

I'm not familiar with BigNerdRanch, but $3500!?!

For that kind of money you had better get a certification that means something in the industry. Also for that kind of cash you could take a few classes in computer science at the local university that might do more for you in the long run (general development > specific language skills).

Absolutely agree with that, ain't nothin to it!