Topic: Buy Agile Book even without 2.0?

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get into rails, and I've heard great things about the agile book, but its almost a year old and now rails 2.0 is out. Anyone know if i'll be entirely screwed if I go with that book, or should I wait until an updated version arrives?

Best,
Bob

Re: Buy Agile Book even without 2.0?

entirely screwed?  no.  i learned rails with the first agile book even though it was way outdated.  Some things won't work, and some things will have better methods now, but you can always google.

you'll be in better shape than i was, anyway

I'd say it's still a good introduction, though it might be overdue for a third edition. But the best thing you can do is play around with stuff, ask questions. That's the best way to learn Rails.

I haven't read the rails way book but people say its better then awdwr, and its for rails 2.0.2 wink

Eric_Jardas wrote:

I haven't read the rails way book but people say its better then awdwr, and its for rails 2.0.2 wink

It is not meant for beginners! Definitely not. And moreover it is not 100% Rails 2.0, actually there is a lot of  1.2 mixed in to it.

After banging a bit your head with Agile book you will be able to do make it work with Rails 2.0, be prepared that the first pages of the book are wrong specially when it comes to scaffolding, but you can find help easily.

Last edited by Johnson (2008-01-28 12:08:16)

Sorry..like I said I haven't read it so I didn't knew its not for beginners.
I think the best thing to do is to buy agwdwr and install old version of rails. After you read it you can install rails 2.0 and start from there smile

Yea? I see they have older version of the standalone package. Is there any way to install an older version through rubygems or would that not make sense?

So if I learn on 1.2.6, the jump to 2.0 won't be too different? How drastic are the changes?

I'm thinking I'll still get that book as it gets a lot of good reviews.

Thanks for your help all!

Robert

sprynmr wrote:

So if I learn on 1.2.6, the jump to 2.0 won't be too different? How drastic are the changes?

Well there are quite big specially when it comes to the code that scaffolding generates. I am currently banging my head to make the Depot tutorial (from the Agile book) work in Rails 2.0 plus adjusting some stuff to make it suit my needs. But it is a good way of learning

sprynmr wrote:

Well there are quite big specially when it comes to the code that scaffolding generates. I am currently banging my head to make the Depot tutorial (from the Agile book) work in Rails 2.0 plus adjusting some stuff to make it suit my needs. But it is a good way of learning

go to www.rubyplus.org

the guy there has made about 30 or so good screencasts, a few them which take the depot app from the Agile book and make it work under Rails 2.0...sounds like that's what you need.

Just thougth it'd be worth mentioning that Bala Paranj over at www.rubyplus.com got some screncasts on how to upgrade the depot app to using rails 2.0.

For me Agile Book (ed.1) didn't really do much else then confuse me. I don't like the approach of building a huge application (with alota bugs) and then hacking throught it to understand.
With the release of rails 2 I am going to stay away from ANY literature unless it states that it's mean for Rails 2.0...
It's enough that rails is hard concept to grasp by itself, I must also figure out which commands, concepts have been upgraded with the new release...

"Iwana ga hana"

there any way to install an older version through rubygems or would that not make sense?

try

gem install rails -v=1.2.6

drozzy wrote:

For me Agile Book (ed.1) didn't really do much else then confuse me. I don't like the approach of building a huge application (with alota bugs) and then hacking throught it to understand.
With the release of rails 2 I am going to stay away from ANY literature unless it states that it's mean for Rails 2.0...
It's enough that rails is hard concept to grasp by itself, I must also figure out which commands, concepts have been upgraded with the new release...

Absolutely correct! I think the best way to learn is finding a good goal (like "i want to build a calendar") and trying to get there, googling the most of the time...

The Agile Web Development with Rails is overall a good book for beginners.
Okay it has some flaws and doesn't always teach good practices, but it has a good index and clickable Table of Content which a lot of books lack.