Topic: httperf, how to use for an action that takes 3-4 requests a second?

hi,
i am trying to figure out what one mongrel can handle using httperf.

the action can handle 2-4 requests per second.

if i do 100 connections at a rate of 4 per second, i see that the test passed. but what happens if i increase the rate to 100 knowing  the mongrel should not be able to handle it?

shouldnt the test fail?


also, when i do 1000 connections at 6 requests per second, i get errors. does that mean ive reached the breaking point?

Total: connections 1000 requests 961 replies 961 test-duration 293.523 s

Connection rate: 3.4 conn/s (293.5 ms/conn, <=449 concurrent connections)
Connection time [ms]: min 382.3 avg 63140.3 max 173160.7 median 65065.5 stddev 37573.4
Connection time [ms]: connect 6696.3
Connection length [replies/conn]: 1.000

Request rate: 3.3 req/s (305.4 ms/req)
Request size [b]: 63.0

Reply rate [replies/s]: min 2.8 avg 3.3 max 3.6 stddev 0.1 (58 samples)
Reply time [ms]: response 59178.6 transfer 27.0
Reply size [b]: header 275.0 content 14546.0 footer 0.0 (total 14821.0)
Reply status: 1xx=0 2xx=961 3xx=0 4xx=0 5xx=0

CPU time [s]: user 3.64 system 289.40 (user 1.2% system 98.6% total 99.8%)
Net I/O: 47.6 KB/s (0.4*10^6 bps)

Errors: total 39 client-timo 0 socket-timo 39 connrefused 0 connreset 0
Errors: fd-unavail 0 addrunavail 0 ftab-full 0 other 0