Topic: Complete Newb Programmer

Hello!

So I am looking around and I see a lot of tutorials that are aimed at people who know some form of programming, and I find them all a bit confusing.

I really need a tutorial of some sort that is extremely basic. I am very good with HTML and CSS, but I have no experience with JavaScript, PHP, ASP, databases, or anything like that. I know how they all sort of function, but I've never made a script (only installed them).

So, for a person in my shoes, what do you think is the best approach? I have a small fairly simple site that I want to get going and it would require user accounts, some basic user interaction, and then linking up with the PayPal API for payments.... ideally I want to use this as motivation to learn RoR and do the whole thing on my own. Possible?

All feedback very appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Complete Newb Programmer

If you have NO idea of programming, tutorials will get you nowhere. Get a book and learn the basics. That is, don't get a Rails book, get a ruby book.
Even though your project is simple, you won't get anywhere without basic programming knowledge as the first error message you see will be like chinese to you and you won't even know where to look to fix it.

Can't advise you a good one though, as i never needed one because i have a background of other languages and could teach myself the nessessary stuff with tutorials etc.

But i think someone here can suggest a good one.

Ah cool yea that makes sense. All the tutorials keep talking about strings, classes and objects and I get lost right away since my association with those words is completely different. So yea I suppose a real beginner guide to just programming would be nice

What kind of a learning curve should I be expecting?

This is what you need & a snap at $13 for the pdf download...
http://www.pragprog.com/titles/fr_ltp

DaveP wrote:

This is what you need & a snap at $13 for the pdf download...
http://www.pragprog.com/titles/fr_ltp

I second this. It's a great, and very basic, book that assumes no programming knowledge at all.

Looks fantastic. Thanks!