Topic: Pragmatic Studios

I

Re: Pragmatic Studios

A Rails session would get you up and running with Rails. A Ruby session would get you familiar with Ruby, but not necessarily Rails unless they incorporate it into the course.

Depending on how well you assimilate new languages, I'd suggest buying one or two Ruby language guides or seeking out web tutorials and reading them first. Then book into the course.

You'll then have at least a basic understanding of Ruby and be in a position to grok Rails more easily in the course.

Agreed. If you're going to get an intro course in Rails, the level of Ruby required is fairly low for someone experienced in programming or scripting. And while Ruby is fairly consistent and well-documented, Rails is full of magical inconsistencies which benefit more from a personal introduction.

Good tips.  I think I'll take your suggestions and go get the Programming Ruby book.  As for the rails studio - I'm still not sure I'll go.  Anyone here that has gone want to share any thoughts on it?

I attended a Rails studio last year with virtually no Ruby or Rails experience - I think I had skimmed the Agile Web Dev w/ Rails book, but hadn't had a chance to really play with it.  They spent about half of the first day on a high-speed 'intro to Ruby' - I didn't feel behind or lost at all during the event.