Topic: Where are the tons of rails systems/apps?

So many people/developers/rails sites say: "Ruby on rails is great, is simple, is beauty etc." I agree with them but why almost all of this people (and this forum also) use php systems (Wordpress, punBB...)? It's more comfortable? Maybe, but I think it's pity! Everyone talk about rails but nobody can't create great rails apps which can compete with php apps.

Re: Where are the tons of rails systems/apps?

PHP has several years head-start on Rails, so it's natural that some PHP software will be very mature.

Also, one of the current issues in the Rails world is shared hosting support. This is going to change very rapidly, but at the moment the tools are geared more toward 'serious' hosting, a bit like Java.

In my experience though, the core Rails people are largely involved in Software-as-a-Service rather than Open Source models. You can find commercial Rails apps for everything from Issue Tracking to Invoicing to Project Management.

There are, however, a number of OS Rails packages for blogging, forum and content management.

Toby Hede
===================================================
FiniteStateMachine - Software Development for Social Networks
===================================================

it's ironic that this site uses php instead of rails...

Poonaka: Just search the forums and you'll see why we do -- we've explained it many times.  I'm certain we won't use PunBB forever, but for now it suits our needs perfectly and nothing we like better exists on the Rails side yet, so there's no reason to change. smile

In answer to the original poster's question, check out http://happycodr.com/   which is a huge showcase of Rails-powered sites.

Josh Catone helps run this place
Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

The lack of good shared hosting solutions makes Rails slightly out of the reach of a lot of hobbyists and small-time developers, which is a category a lot of open source PHP developers fall into. Even with VPS accounts becoming more affordable (in the $15-20/mo range), there's still a lot of server administration type work that has to be done there that a lot of people don't want to or can't do.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just because you can reinvent the wheel doesn't mean you have to.

I use rails for new projects, but I don't rush to redo old ones done in PHP, because they're already there, and they work.

But PHP is so... hideous!

tongue

Kelli wrote:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just because you can reinvent the wheel doesn't mean you have to.

I use rails for new projects, but I don't rush to redo old ones done in PHP, because they're already there, and they work.

I have to disagree. I think we should be at war with the PHP community.. Just like Python is much at arms against Perl. There are so many things wrong with PHP, I'd like to see it die way more than Java.. At least Java people get paid well, have discipline, and write unit tests!

-Rob

Forum software is a flooded business.  Why go back and recreate software that exists many times over just because of a new framework?  Why not focus on new and interesting markets and ideas, such as Twitter, which happens to be written in Rails?