Re: Pimp your editor

OmenKing wrote:

Notepad++
Price: $0
License: open source
Languages supported: everything
Description: Free Open Source text editor based off of Scintilla.

Notepad++ is the bomb. Love it.

Draconid wrote:

By choice I use vim.  But since I'm mostly working on Windows (grrrr) then I just use SciTE.

What's wrong with Vim on Windows? I use Vim on Windows and LOVE it. Just today I realized I don't have to run an external tail program, because I can do it in Vim. I was so excited. Vim is constant joy, because periodically (because you can't learn it all in one sitting) you'll discover something really fantastic.  I live for those days.  Hahah

Christoph wrote:

Vim + this + that .. smile

hear hear... all wrapped up in a gentoo vmware install - i can't deal with the windows shell, but i can't live without my design tools and i dont have a mac - and dual booting is a pain in the posterior; no window manager means it's slick slick slick big_smile

If I'm allowed... I made a textmate theme for rails, you can check it out here:

http://www.danielfischer.com/2007/04/07 … big-fisch/

I may have some updates since I released it, let me know if you run into anything weird and I'll put in a new copy.

http://danielfischer.com - Personal Web-Technology-Blog, Los Angeles.

gVim + the following plugins:
dbext.vim     
minibufexpl.vim 
project.vim 
surround.vim
genutils.vim 
multvals.vim     
rails.vim

and the vividchalk color theme, which I think is supposed to be just like TextMate.

dbext lets you access MySQL from within gVim. You can execute SQL commands and it logs in using info from your database.yml file.

The plugins also add to gVim: A directory tree, tabs, very powerful search tools (for example, putting the cursor on a method name and typing ":Rview" opens up that action's view file. There are also commands for Rake (:Rake defaults to migration if you call it within a migration file, for example) and wrappers for general commands (like ":Rgenerate model user").

The best thing about this setup are the smart features that let you hop between files. It's specifically for rails so there are lots of templates and files are automatically created. For example, when you generate a model, a migration with this template is created along with it:

class CreateUsers < ActiveRecord::Migration
  def self.up
    create_table :users do |t|
    end
  end

def self.down
    drop_table :users
  end
end

Relax wrote:

The plugins also add to gVim: A directory tree, tabs, very powerful search tools (for example, putting the cursor on a method name and typing ":Rview" opens up that action's view file. There are also commands for Rake (:Rake defaults to migration if you call it within a migration file, for example) and wrappers for general commands (like ":Rgenerate model user").

Actually you may type just :R or :RS (for split) to open view file. And :A gives you test file.
With good config, vim is best smile.

I've been using the E Text Editor since I've started and I'm not even thinking about looking for anything else. I love it.

For those who use Vim, check out the NERD tree plugin, is awesome smile

Here is my screenshot, I'm using the NERD tree plugin as you can see, my font is "Monospace bold 10" and the colorscheme is "evening", I'm also using Rails.vim and Surround.vim.

Last edited by diego (2007-09-17 22:12:14)

Good TextMate-like snippets plugin for Vim!

Coda
Price: USD$79
License: Closed Source.
Languages supported: Ruby, Python, PHP, Perl, SQL, HTML/CSS/JS, Java - the majority of web/server-side languages and scripting languages!
Description: My favorite; standard features like syntax-highlighting, auto-complete, code snippets (!!) and hints - plus an in-built Terminal & FTP client, alongside many other features.

Intype
Price: Free (for now)
License: closed source

Still in Alpha, so free for now, but it's been great for me.

Personal Site josephhsu.com
Working with Rails profile
Twitter jhsu

I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned NetBeans which seems to be going head-to-head with Eclipse. You can get the full version, or just the Ruby-specific bit which is a smaller download. It is a full-on IDE, code completion and all the usual IDE goodies, with a pretty good debugger.

And it's free...

onizuka wrote:

Intype

I have to say I've tried both Notepadd++ and Intype and I do much prefer intype when working on a pc however because I use Mac OS X in work I am far more used to using TextMate I love the dockable file browser which displays all the directories for the app you are working on down the side, and think that intype would be perect if it only had this too.

Netbeans 6.1 is leaps and bounds over anything else I've used including vim with the rails plugins, radrails, and for a short time e text editor.

Last edited by PaulS (2008-05-22 14:45:31)

PaulS wrote:

Netbeans 6.1 is leaps and bounds over anything else I've used including vim with the rails plugins, radrails, and for a short time e text editor.

seems like that. the editor in NetBeans seems to be able to do pretty much everything that E does (saying this despite I like E). You can use NetBeans purely as an editor and it's free unlike E.

still there's loads of functionality which you can start using anytime...

I really like the new version of Aptana... Aptana Studio.

It is a full blown IDE similar to NetBeans.   I think it is based upon Eclipse.   

The basic version is free.

Editor: ViM
Price: FREE
License: Charityware (Opensource)

Great editor, that has been around for a long time. I really can't find a feature that another editor provides that can't be done in ViM either naively or with an extension in a matter of a few minutes. There is a small learning curve, for me it went pretty quickly just learning what I needed to get the job done, and picking up more as time went on. I have a pretty extensive config I have tweaked over the years with a lot of scripts from vim.sf.net. To name a few related to my rails development here is a list with urls.

rails.vim
Nerd Commenter
Nerd Tree
SnippetsEMU
SuperTab
Haml Syntax
Sass Syntax
The last Vim color scheme you'll ever need

Kinda long I know, really does a nice job of turning vim into textmate in many ways. Although that was not what I sent out to do. If anyone want's my configs just give a shout, would be happy to share.

Oh and most importantly. The real reason I stick with ViM is simply the way I like to work. I hate using my mouse. I try to avoid it until I fire up a FPS. ViM really allows me to do this if I choose to.

I'm long winded tonight, sorry. smile

gregf,
There's no reason to apologize. That was a very informative post.
I'm starting to realize now that I, too, hate using the mouse. I am really enjoying the overall ease of the command line, even if you do have to remember text based commands as opposed to visual based gui's. I am glad that ruby makes it easy for me to extend the command line!

Anyhow,

sudo port install vim

smile

Last edited by Lake (2008-06-01 16:31:06)

onizuka wrote:

Intype

you saved my life. I came across this one a few months ago, didn't bookmark it and could find it since then!

Geany
Price: Free
License: Open Source - GNU General Public License
Languages supported: 30+ languages including:  Ruby/Rails, Python, PHP, Java, XML, HTML, JS, CSS, etc.
Description:
Good combination of a powerful yet lightweight editor for Linux machines. 

Features include:
* Ruby syntax highlighting
* Code folding
* Object browser
* File browser
* Code snippets (though very primitive compared to TextMate)
* Code completion
* Autocomplete HTML / XML tags (It does not auto-close quotes, brackets, etc, which is upsetting)
* Plugins
* Find in files
* Git / Svn commits
* Built-in terminal window
* "Scribble" window that allows you to paste stuff that you want to access later without creating a new "junk" file.
* Right click on a method call and jump directly to the definition.  (By default, it will only work if the definition is in an open file.  But, if you install the "Geany Project" plugin, it will jump you to any file in the project with that definition.)

Good review here:

http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/linux/ … 4142.shtml