Topic: A lot of records running slow on Dreamhost - any suggestions

Hi guys,

I'm quite new to Ruby on Rails and I am deploying my first app.
I have over 50,000 records and each record has a true or false active state. On the homepage I find 50 of the active records and order them randomly.

def index
    @records = Record.find_all_by_active(true, :order => 'rand()', :limit => 50)
end

The problem is that my app is running pretty slow and I'm assuming it's because there's a lot of records to index through.

I have heard about different types of caching but I'm not sure if this is applicable here as I want the records that are displayed to change on each visit.

I'm running on Dreamhost & Apache (using Fast CGI).

Would appreciate any suggestions or links.

Thanks

Re: A lot of records running slow on Dreamhost - any suggestions

Hey,
I'm still fresh too, but I believe a little tweak to help would be provide an actual sql statement.

But there's probably more ways, like only selecting the fields you want to display using the :select option of find.

Personal Site josephhsu.com
Working with Rails profile
Twitter jhsu

Thanks for the quick reply.
How do you write an actual sql statement in Ruby and how does that compare to what I already have?

Yeah, I've tidied by code up quite a bit (it was actually a lot messier to what you see above at first). I've added :select to state the two fields I want to pull out but doesn't make much difference.

http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/200 … imization/

ORDER BY rand() Is pretty slow, but so are ORDER BY ... LIMIT .. statements.

Make sure you have the proper columns as indexes. And that should help your application a lot.

Another thing that could improve the speed of the search is to use a subquery to select the random 50 by ID only.

SELECT id, col1, col2, ... , colN FROM tab WHERE conditions ORDER BY RAND() LIMIT m

To a query of the form:

SELECT id, col1, col2, ... , colN FROM tab WHERE id IN (SELECT id FROM tab WHERE conditions ORDER BY RAND() LIMIT m)

Doing a limit in a subquery for an IN () requires 5.1 MySQL I think though. It doesn't work for 5.0 I know, but I think they added that feature in 5.1.

oh, i found a work around for that problem though:

SELECT 
tbl1.*
FROM (SELECT id FROM tbl1 ORDER BY RANDOM() LIMIT m) AS A
JOIN tbl1 ON tbl1 = A.id

should produce a similar effect as a subquery with a limit

SQLite3 supports subqueries with limits though.

No idea about PostgreSQL, I don't use that one.

Last edited by mr_shine (2008-02-25 14:22:27)

Thanks I'll take a look at that