Topic: Thinking of switching to gedit

So hi,

I'm thinking of switching to gedit as my IDE for Rails/PHP/etc., and wondered if anyone might have some tips about doing so in a smooth way.

I started using Ubuntu almost a year ago, and am loving it. I started using Eclipse at first, with RadRails. I have several years of experience with Dreamweaver and Visual Studio, and once I had a job where I had to use GoLive, so I thought Eclipse would help the transition go smoothly.

Anyway. I like Eclipse, but I don't take advantage of all of the features, and I begin to feel like it's overkill for the way I work. Essentially, I need the following:

1. syntax highlighting/indentation for Ruby, rhtml, PHP, Python, HTML, CSS, JavaScript.

I picked up some plugins for gedit to do this, and they look very promising.

2. access to the file system.

Historically, this is what has kept me from using text editors rather than larger IDEs. I like being able to open and close my files from within the IDE, and not have to have an extra window open to do that kind of thing. I have the gedit plugin for this as well, but evidently it doesn't allow one to drag / drop files into different folders and such. I think I can live without this, but it is a feature I would miss. Is there a way to do this?

Really, I am happy with this. Code completion isn't a big deal to me, but I'm sure it's available to some extent as well.

Has anyone else made this kind of switch? If so, what other tips/ideas would you share with someone considering it?

I look forward to any discussion.
Jon

Re: Thinking of switching to gedit

Hi there!

How ironic that my first post on this forum is in reply to a fellow Atlantan! Gedit makes a wonderful IDE for RoR. I read a really good article that outlined all the plugins to use, but I can't find it right now..

However, SnapOpen makes it really easy to open files, as does the File Browser Panel plugin. I also like to have a console on the bottom panel so that I don't have to use a terminal window to generate, rake, etc. Syntax highlighting is available, and auto-indention is an option built into Gedit. You can use the Snippets plugin for code completion. Somewhere you can get a snippets archive, but if you can't find one, I'll gladly export mine and email it to you. Line numbers is helpful for debugging.

I also like to use the "Oblivion" color scheme. It's much easier on the eyes than glaring white.

You can check out a screenshot here: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=81fst2a&s=1

I hope that was helpful.

Last edited by eloi (2008-01-04 07:40:57)

Gedit works pretty well. However I've recently moved to Netbeans 6 and trust me at the very least give it a shot. Its a java app so its kinda bulky like eclipse but feature wise its better than any ide I've tested. Subversion if you use it is made so much easier and requires almost no setup. Its no where near as large as eclipse and runs much faster than radrails with eclipse does. The only thing faster really is Gedit, but once you see the useful feature set of netbeans I think you'll understand

I'd recommend Netbeans but Gedit would be my somewhat distant 2nd choice(with a few plugins of course)

Last edited by tafkamk (2008-02-07 01:44:09)

It's been a long time since I used Linux but when I did I used scite and kwrite. Both were ok.

That screenshot of Gedit makes it look a lot more advanced than it was when I was on Linux. I'm pretty sure it didn't have a file browser on it then.

I've always loved Gedit as a light editor.  The oblivion theme is very nice and easy on the eyes, and there are a couple of plug ins out there that give it some nice functionality.  One thing that I especially love is the simple support of python scripting that gnome brings to the table.    If you get a little familiar with python, putting together a custom code completion script or maybe even a highlighter for mistakes you make frequently is a snap.  There's SVN repositories out there with little scripts such as this all over the place.  I know of several projects at the moment (I believe some of them may have actually originated from this forum) to create gedit plug ins to handle rake tasks (much like netbeans does, but without the eight week load time) and database migrations.  While this sort of functionality doesn't seem to have a lot of steam behind it from the rails community, there are at least a couple of developers out there who are interested in adding this kind of thing to gedit and these plugins are starting to make their way into repositories. 

As for me, I've been stuck developing on a windows machine for the past couple of weeks (hell on earth for one used to a speedy linux distro) and I've become very friendly with netbeans.  Perhaps I'll give it another shot on my return to linux, but it's more than likely I'll keep working to add the aforementioned rails plugins to gedit and use that.  Netbeans was always just too damn heavy.

p.s.

One thing I forgot to mention.  The terminal plugin included with gedit does not have tab support, and has an annoying habit of forcing you to restart gedit whenever you play around with infinite loops in it and get it stuck.  (I get bored a lot.)  There are some good alternatives out there that fix these little issues and made a world of difference to me.

I have to agree with the above post about netbeans 6. If you want a full featured IDE it's hard to beat. And the netbeans ruby is great, very responsive. If you are looking for just a text editor it's hard to beat vi. I use gvim on windows for all my php development and use netbeans at work for RoR. Just my opinion.

p.s. On www.rubyonrails.org there is a link to a web based IDE, there's a neat idea.

Last edited by PaulS (2008-03-03 11:08:13)

Gedit is really great. Follow this guide:

http://grigio.org/pimp_my_gedit_was_textmate_linux

One thing I forgot to mention.  The terminal plugin included with gedit does not have tab support, and has an annoying habit of forcing you to restart gedit whenever you play around with infinite loops in it and get it stuck.  (I get bored a lot.)  There are some good alternatives out there that fix these little issues and made a world of difference to me.

What alternatives? Hook me up with a way to open multiple terminal tabs on gedit please.

Last edited by Evanr (2008-06-11 12:28:03)

Nevermind, i've found a multiple terminal plugin, PERFECT for rails development.

http://fazibear.blogspot.com/2008/04/ge … minal.html

I had a problem that the .gedit-plugin file wasnt working, if you have that problem as well read the comment i posted on the blog post.

i want a t a plugin to find/replace text with regrex, any suggestion?

Last edited by bus387 (2008-06-25 10:28:30)