Topic: newbie: how to install an existing Ror application on my computer

Here's the thing: I'm totally new to Ror and I have to follow the development of a Ror application developped by somebody else. I have all the source code, and I would like to test it and "play" with it to figure out what's done and what's to do.

I installed Instant Rails.

What's next? I copy the Ror applications into the rails_apps directory and I copy and configure the databases? anything else?

Thanks for your help. I found a lot of tutorials on how to create a small Ror applications for newbies, but none for what i want to do (which is testing an existing application on my computer).

Re: newbie: how to install an existing Ror application on my computer

I tried with RadRails, I manage to create a new project, but cannot figure out how to create a project with the source code of the application that I want to test... please?

Re: newbie: how to install an existing Ror application on my computer

When you create the project, you should be able to specify it as a Ruby on Rails project with existing sources.  You then select the directory with the rails app and that part will be setup.  Then you just configure the database and you should be good to go using the development server.

Edit:  I may have misunderstood where you were with getting stuff setup.  Do you have ruby installed yet?  If not, go to http://rubyonrails.org/down and do everything down to creating the rails app since you will be using an existing app.

Last edited by HarryP103 (2008-02-29 15:34:28)