Topic: Production Low Memory

I'm running close to 9 ruby applications with each having a background job worker running for sending out mails. These are hosted at server beach. Problems I have is the memory drop. The server has CentOS release 4.4 and 5GB memory. After running these many apps, the memory drops to 300-400MB and at times causes the server to crash and I'm forced to do a reboot. Can someone help me out or tell me if its due to some memory leakage in the application. I use mini-magick for my image related stuffs with attachment_fu. Is there anyway to check where the memory leak is happening? Please help me, else I could be in deep trouble with my clients. Thanks Guys.

Re: Production Low Memory

When you get down to 300-400 MB, what is using the largest percentage or you memory?
Use htop or top and sort by memory.

The funniest part is that when I run top, no apps show using up lot of memory. All the ruby apps and the background processes show less usage of memory. DOnt know wats eaten up the memory and now as I reply to this , the memory stands at 170MB.

That is quite strange.  Did you sort my memory just to be certain?
Just in case - start top and then type shift-m.
Are you on a shared host (does not sound like it if you can restart the box)?
How are you determining your available memory?

I have the access to restart the box and I just did tat today early morning and now I have 2.4GB free which was the same around 3 days back, when the free mem rose up to 2.8GB and then dropped down to 110MB and then I was forced to restart the box. I use the command free -m to determine the memory.