Topic: Getting a console via netbeans

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help me get passed this issue..  I'm using the latest netbeans/ruby setup (win32) as from a couple of days ago, I got the nightly build and cant for the life of me get any kind of console to work properyly.

Is there a way to get a rails console without using netbeans ?  I am trying to set up a deployment strategy and without having a console I'm pretty stumped..

My issues with netbeans are the following..  If I right click my project and choose Rails Console, a console window loads with the >> prompt.. For some reason the text input in this window is right To left so what I enter in there has to be pasted in.. and even then when I press enter nothing actually happens so I imagine that section is incomplete...
If I try the IRB link from the windows menu.. I initially get a nullpointerexception and the window appears saying Interactive Ruby Console, however there is no prompt and it doesnt responsd to any input...

Any help / advice greatly appreciated...

Maybe going back from the daily build to the alst milestone 10 release might help....

Re: Getting a console via netbeans

Further to this, upon a clean install the IRB loads fine.. the problem occurs after i've installed the gems needed for deployment,  capistrano/mongrel etc..  I'll narrow it down and post my find here....

well in actual fact even after a clean install I cant get a console to work properly...  just running the gem command in the console doesnt do a thing.. :-(

Hi Dave

I use this tool a lot. I use the native Ruby executable, not Jruby. Also the console is in an output window where you can type but the up arrow doesn't work. I find I have to select the text I want and just hit paste - it puts it after the > character for you.

When you say gem command do you mean something like gem install? To run that you need to be in a command shell, not the rails shell, at least as far as I know.

... or select rails plugins from the right click menu, perhaps?

yep once I switched from JRuby to the native rubyw.exe, everything works much better.. :-)

I'm using Netbeans for development, but I never had any luck with the console. I gave up and installed Ruby through Cygwin. Cygwin has a very nice console if you run rxvt. My only gripe with this setup is that it takes ruby a while to start up.

you can right-click in your project and choose Rails Console to get a console window.

Hope this helps.

I like NetBeans 6.0 but I'm not clear on how to use the console to access methods in one of my projects.  It must be that I'm not in the right directory.....any help on this would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Here's the error I get when trying to call paginate (from will_paginate plug in currently installed as a gem).

there's nothing wrong with your configuration. In netbeans to access the console all you need to do is right click your project and select either the rails console, or what ever action you want. the irb's not intended for use as the console.

I'm using Netbeans 6.1 on Ubuntu, and while the console window starts up fine, I can't type anything in it. That is, no matter what I do (type), the cursor doesn't move off the prompt and nothing is displayed. I'm not going to mess with it too much... I have shells galore so getting a shell within Netbeans isn't critical. But it would be nice to know what's going on.

I am using Netbean 6.1 and I am trying to install github will_paginate plugin through Netbean 6.1 rails plugin.   I added the URL git://github.com/mislav/will_paginate.git to the repositories.  However, the will_paginate plug in never appears in 'New Plugins'