Re: Ruby on Rails Programming Environment?

I generally stick with RadRails for most development as it supports almost everything I want / need to do. The rest I do via Console (link provided before wink).

Re. Textmate on Windows - There is whats looking to be a fairly promising app - Intype. Bit buggy atm and still lacking featues but it is looking to get better.

On the Linux side, Scribes is pretty cool (google it tongue), But it is still very buggy and is written in Python (so performance MAY become an issue.)

Sadly, both lack the polish atm that looks like it makes textmate so good (haven't used it. Want to get a Mac though and if I do I will get it)

i put a simple how-to for getting scribes to support rhtml files on my site.
www.bitsbam.com
i like scribes a lot. i am still kinda getting the hang of vim, but scribes is a lot of fun to just use.

vim with rails.vim is just great wink gnome-terminal and log -f log/development.log and you have it all

hmm I don't have that log command (Ubuntu).
How do you get it?

Thanks

thabenksta wrote:

The other critical part of this is Console, which is a windows command prompt replacement.  It's got tabs, transparency and other cool goodies that make it possible for me to satiate my linux urges in a windows environment.

I was using console too. Great app.
But I found a better solution. You can develop on linux even if you are stuck with a windows machine. In the long run, it's so much better (Capistrano, more compiled plugins, colors in IRB, etc).

The solution:
andlinux.org

Using 2Gb of disk space, and 512 Mb, I have all I need. It's almost native speed. Much better than VMware.

For the IDE guys, I'm using Netbeans. It really groks rails. Much better than aptana. Give it a try. It has the same textMate autocompleter, plus refactoring, find usages, find definition, and other goodies from IDEs. Coming from Vim, I'm picky. No other IDE has ever satisfied me. The Rails team at sun are doing wonders with Netbeans. 6.1 beta starts fast (!) and you can even look at your db from the IDE. Nify.

Last edited by urlwolf (2008-03-18 23:17:09)

I'm now using ubuntu and I write code in intype smile

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/5455/screenshotym3.th.png

Windows users who want to use TextMate might want to try E - TextEditor. I haven't tried it myself because I'm on a Mac myself, but it looks like a Windows-TextMate. And it supports TextMate bundles too.

urlwolf wrote:

hmm I don't have that log command (Ubuntu).
How do you get it?

Thanks

Try tail -f log/development.log

Although if you're running script/server, it should show up like that anyway.

For windows you can't go wrong with Netbeans, it's a great IDE.