Topic: Articles for installing a Ruby on Rails dev stack

Hi all:

We are migrating our LearningRails podcast into a free online course. As part of that work, the current episode (number 8) walks the listener through setting up a Ruby on Rails developer stack. We cover Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5, as well as Windows XP and Vista. Even if you aren't following the podcast or subscribed to the online course, the articles may be of use to you if you are starting out.

There are four articles, depending on your platform:

Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)

Windows XP

Windows Vista

If you have any suggestions, we'd love to hear them. There is a comment box to the right of the articles if you want to make suggestions visible to readers of the articles, or you can comment on this thread.

-Christopher Haupt

Re: Articles for installing a Ruby on Rails dev stack

Is there any point installing ruby and rubygems for Macports ie:

sudo port install ruby
sudo port install rb-rubygems

I have seen other blog posts about Rails installation on Mac Leopard where they have done this...

PJ.

While that certainly works, (I ran that way personally for a long time after moving away from building everything from source), we've been moving towards a "less is more" approach, especially when working with beginners. The Ruby installation on Leopard is pretty decent at this point and lets people get started with minimal fuss.

The only reason we even have people load up MacPorts in the beginning is that it opens the door for more tools down the road and, of course, we standardized on MySQL in all of our materials. The ports MySQL package is modestly simpler to maintain from that point of view.

-c

hi chaupt,

If i did a sudo port uninstall ruby rb-rubygems - would my setup still work?

PJ.

I've successfully 'devolved' my primary MacBook Pro from a ports Ruby and Gems install to using the native via that approach (uninstall on ruby and rb-rubygems). Do remember to update your Gems and install any that aren't part of the native install. I was paranoid, so before I did anything I got my list to check it twice:

gem -v
gem list
/usr/bin/gem -v
/usr/bin/gem list

before nuking the ports version. Then, go for it. Remember to use sudo when using the native gem for install and the like.

-c

Last edited by chaupt (2008-03-31 00:12:04)

Awesome, thanks for the replies.

Will give it a go smile

The nice thing about this is that if you aren't happy with the native install, it is simple to re-enable ports' installs of the tools.

-c