Topic: Recommendations please

Hi there,

I just developed my first ruby on rails application and deplyed it just yesterday.
Today guess what.....the account on the hosting company got suspended.. :S.. After contacting them I learned it got suspended because my account was eating server resources..and I wonder why since there was almost no traffic in the website....

It is a unix server and application is served with Apache fcgi.

Could you suggest a way to approach this issue....I am using Pstore to save sessions, production logging set to :info. The database consists of 9 tables, which at the moment hold very little data, and not much requests were made to the webserver....
Also I am using active_scaffold.... Could this be an issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours. 
-H.S.T

Re: Recommendations please

Doing some testing, running a top command at the server and making one request to the website would spawn multiple dispatch.fcgi processes taking huge amount of memory and processor...

Any ideas on that?

-H.S.T

I would probably just double check your app is running in production mode. If it is, then turn up the logging level to see if anything strange is happening.

I would like to hear the opinion of several ppl on this.
I have shared hosting for the application.
The guys at the hosting company told me to upgrade to VPS to solve the issue, else run the application in plain CGI mode....

Is it only me that thinks that they just dont want to be bothered solving the issue?

-H.S.T

Rails doesn't really run great on a shared host mainly because of issues with fcgi. You definitely don't want to run it with cgi.

You could do a google search for how to manage fcgi processes, however I would second the recommendation to upgrade to a vps. With fcgi on a shared host your app is always going to be slow to startup after no one has used it for a while and you will never be really happy with the performance. Slicehost has 256MB vps for $20 a month and has always worked great for me.

I recommend slicehost vps.

PJ.