Topic: RoR development slow on Windows

Although I'm using a top notch development machine (C2D, 2GB Ram) Ruby development under windows seems to be significantly slower than on Mac OS.

Especially the startup of the rails environment (rake, console, ...) takes a considerable amount of time (in the range of 7-10 seconds).

IMHO under Mac OS things come up much faster.

Is there a way to speed up the startup time of the Ruby / Rails tools ?

Re: RoR development slow on Windows

No one replied to you. so I'll join you in your suffer.

A year has passed, I'm using RoR 2.0.2 on my Turion X2 2GB XP machine.

ruby script/console with no antivirus takes 13 secs.
ruby script/console with avast antivirus set to ignore RoR and application folders takes 23 secs.

anyone?

I switched to Linux half a year ago (Ubuntu 7.10). Ruby and RoR works much much faster than under XP. The only thing that I'm missing is Textmate, so I have to use Netbeans.

I highly recommend using Linux for RoR-development.

I agree with Woyzeck - there has always been a problem with developing locally on Windows machines which never has really been resolved and IMO I'd rather the core team concentrated on the framework rather than trying to make it work in Windows.

I also moved to Linux, I'm running Ubuntu on my desktop and Arch on my laptop. I miss nothing about my Rails dev experience on Windows. I prefer gvim + rails.vim and a whole bunch of other plugins to e-texteditor (but it does take a lot of commitment to get to that state). In the transition period you can run e-texteditor in seamless mode on VirtualBox or Netbeans or Apatana.

If you are stuck on windows, it is possible that andlinux www.andlinux.org will give you a performance boost, I have not tested it yet.

Woyzeck wrote:

I highly recommend using Linux for RoR-development.

++

Linux ftw.

On Windows it is impossible to run Autotest, it is just too slow, move to Linux or OsX.

Unfortunately Linux is lacking a good Ruby-enabled editor.

Someone port Textmate for us ?

The integrated debugger in Netbeans is showing promise. Available for Linux/Solaris/Mac/Win. I've been using it on Mac OS X and Windows for our LearningRails class. It was a little rough around the edges in 6.0, but the 6.1 branch is improving. I mostly keep it around for the debugger at this point.

-c

OS X with VMWare Fusion to run Windoze and dreade IE testing is a way better environment than when I had a linux laptop IMO. Don't get me wrong I think that Linux is awesome and I used it for years before I bought my MacBook, but the power of a UNIX system with all the Mac niceties just makes development on this platform a real pleasure.

Well on Linux you have the choice between vim and emacs. There are hard to grasp at first but very powerful.

You also have jEdit but it is java based.

Cherring,

I'm actually running ie6 in Wine on Linux, and it works like a charm (a pretty horific charm, but it works the same as it does in xp)

This actually beats developing on Vista for me, since in Vista I have no option to run IE6. And if you are targeting IE6 you have to test on IE6.

Cheers
Sam

I gave up on developing RoR on Windows. I loaded an older laptop (Compaq Evo 620 - 512Mb ram, Radeon Mobile 32Mb ram) with Gutsy Gibbon. It runs pretty quickly, even with Compiz effects turned on.

As for editors, I was using a good Textmate knockoff called e text editor. It rocked, and the developer has promised a port to Linux "real soon now". Until that time I've had to find alternative editors.

You are not limited to slow and bloated Java IDE's on Linux. IMO, a full blown IDE for RoR is like 155mm Howitzer rounds for killing mosquitoes.

At the risk of starting the never ending vi/Emacs war, here's my take on those:

vi kicks ass if you're willing to learn 50 bajillion key commands to do anything even remotely useful.

Emacs is an awesome operating system, but it lacks a decent text editor.

To get as close as possible to that Textmatey goodness, go with something like gedit. I have the side file browser, ctrl-alt-o opens the snapopen plugin for quick file searches, and I have a server output screen on the bottom. I have a whole collection of snippets to cut down on time. Shoot, I even have Ryan Bate's Railscasts color scheme.

If you are using Kubuntu, you can find plugins and syntax highlighting to make Kate act almost the same.

Load times for Mongrel are ~1 second as opposed to ~15 seconds on my state of the art Windows gaming rig with XP. I wouldn't even want to see load times for Vista.

If you can't give up/repartition your Windows, I suggest using the VMware player running an Ubuntu appliance. It was almost as fast as a native Ubuntu install.

Check out this shot of gedit set up for RoR: http://grigio.org/pimp_my_gedit_was_textmate_linux

Hope I didn't offend anyone, I was just joking about vi/Emacs/Java (sort of) smile

sambo99 wrote:

Cherring,

I'm actually running ie6 in Wine on Linux, and it works like a charm (a pretty horific charm, but it works the same as it does in xp)

This actually beats developing on Vista for me, since in Vista I have no option to run IE6. And if you are targeting IE6 you have to test on IE6.

Cheers
Sam

Yeah we have two VMWare VMs both running XP so that we can test for IE6+7, it's the worst part of every project.

Well at least I managed to get IE6 now working on Vista somehow
my blog post about it

buletov wrote:

No one replied to you. so I'll join you in your suffer.

A year has passed, I'm using RoR 2.0.2 on my Turion X2 2GB XP machine.

ruby script/console with no antivirus takes 13 secs.
ruby script/console with avast antivirus set to ignore RoR and application folders takes 23 secs.

anyone?

I was taken 14 secs.

I keep trying to tell myself I'll do some RoR work in windows (as I use it for my primary OS and I cant' see myself moving off of it).
I do all my real work on a remote linux setup w/ multiple ssh sessions open using VIM. It could just be that I've done it enough that I'm used to it and find that it works just fine for what I need.
I've tried a couple editors on the windows side...w/ less than stellar reactions.
At one point I setup a linux VM running on me laptop to be my RoR environment...it was silly...but it worked.

lear64 wrote:

I keep trying to tell myself I'll do some RoR work in windows (as I use it for my primary OS and I cant' see myself moving off of it).
I do all my real work on a remote linux setup w/ multiple ssh sessions open using VIM. It could just be that I've done it enough that I'm used to it and find that it works just fine for what I need.
I've tried a couple editors on the windows side...w/ less than stellar reactions.
At one point I setup a linux VM running on me laptop to be my RoR environment...it was silly...but it worked.

I've done all my development and testing on Windows, as my client requires Windows domain authentication, and have experienced 0 problems in two years of coding.Performance is excellent. Response time is generally well below expectations for all the finds I do one every request. And I write some very heavy clunky code.

NetBeans 6.5 is a wonderful tool, and it also works very well for me, it's refactoring capabilities alone have saved me many times. And it's html help is friendlier than Dreamweaver's, imo.