Re: Macbook or Macbook Pro ?

I develop on a G4 iBook 1Ghz 12" screen, with a 22" screen plugged and firmware patched with Screen Spanning Doctor for real extended desktop. I love it.

12" is enough for light dev while you are in a train or in a waiting room. I find the MBP are way overpriced specially when you compare to portable PCs. I recently bought an HP 17" with Core2Duo Centrino T7250 and 2Gb DDR for only $750... okay it can't run Leopard, but Apple hardware prices are too high.

But yeah, nothing can beat Rails dev on a Mac.

I've found my MacBook to be fantastic. Bit cheaper than the Pro and with the upgrade to 250GB HDD and 4GB I still only paid a smidge over $2000AUD for it all and it's fantastic. We are only a small company and each of us owns our own machine and we plug them into external displays at the office so the 13" is no concern for me, especially as it allows me to do work on the train during my commute should I wish. It's a great machine and is wonderfully versatile.

To people who think that the MacBook/Pros are too expensive, I really question whether or not you are comparing comparable machines. PC vendors that make top end machines tend to have similar prices IMO.

Well I gave the specs of the HP machine which is actually close or probably even superior to a MacBookPro, and it is half the price.

Where did you get that machine? It seems to be the exception rather than the rule, but of course there are good deals out there for those who search for them. Also I agree that Apple charge too much for hardware upgrades. That's why I bought the base MacBook and upgraded the RAM and HDD myself for a fraction of the price.

Last edited by cherring (2008-04-13 22:17:04)

I actually bought this laptop in France, you can get it even cheaper in the US.

I remember that when I bought it in the shop, the sales guy was even surprised of the price, he even asked one of his colleagues if it was correct big_smile

Yes I looked it up and even in Australia it is only about $1100 I think, pretty good if I was gonna be using Linux still. But I love my MacBook big_smile