Topic: Ruby only (non-rails) forum? Yea or nay?

There has been some interest in a section just for Ruby stuff, not necessarily about Rails.

Should we do it? Would you use such a forum?

vinnie - rails forum admin

Re: Ruby only (non-rails) forum? Yea or nay?

It's worth a shot.  I would probably use it.

I don't think I would, my interest in Ruby is strictly limited to Rails (for now).  Is having it's own topic enough or is there a need for a whole forum?  I think the Ruby community might be a little more mature than the Rails one, so it's worth looking into what's already there.

I assume you're talking about another subcategory on this forum site and not another whole domain name, correct?

I think its a good idea.  The more I learn Ruby the better my Rails code becomes.  Yes you can get a long way in rails without diving deep into Ruby, but the two are linked.  And I think that its beneficial to have a treasure trove of Ruby threads linked to the Rails problem space, so I think it can succeed.  While there might be some more specialized Ruby forums out there, I've heard they are getting tired of rails-related questions, even when its a pure ruby question.

My RoR journey  -- thoughts on learning RoR and lessons learned in applying TDD and agile practices.

NielsenE wrote:

I assume you're talking about another subcategory on this forum site and not another whole domain name, correct?

Yep smile

I would definately like to see something like this. Even though Rails may not need a whole lot of Ruby know how, I still think they are related and it might be of good use.

I think it is a good idea.

I was just about to ask where the Ruby forum is.

Yes, my vote is definitely for a Ruby forum. Ruby is a complex language and definitely deserves its own space here.

best wishes

Huw

Okay, I guess everyone has waited long enough smile

I'm not interested at the moment, but after I get my head around Rails, I'm sure a Ruby forum would be of interest.

Yes

http://danielfischer.com - Personal Web-Technology-Blog, Los Angeles.

Okay then, here's your new forum, go fill it up smile